• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweetie gets a Buddy

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Tweetie eats only seed, sigh! I've been hanging lettuce leaf, herbs, broccollini and other greens in his cage. At least he no longer runs from them but he hasn't gotten curious enough to nibble. Hopefully one day...
I thought that was the case. I hope so too. I wish we could just explain what’s good for them! It did take Packer many months and now he’s almost as enthusiastic as Frost about hanging leaves—especially those hard/to-find carrot greens. So there’s hope.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw some wheat grass and I bought some. I put it in Buddy's cage today and he ate some! :dance4: Previously he ate some dill. I think he likes stuff that looks like "grass". When I put cilantro in, he chewed on the stems but not the leaves. wheat grass.jpg (camera focused on the grass not buddy. lol)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Today Buddy and Tweetie were introduced. I took both cages to the guest room and put them side by side. That first real look that they had of each other was less spectacular than I had pictured in my mind. Tweetie was more curious than Buddy and went to the side of his cage closest to Buddy and checked him out a few times. But then Tweetie played with his toy and ate and didn't pay too much attention to Buddy. Buddy was sort of ho-hum about the whole thing. Hopefully they'll get more curious about each other the more that I put them next to each other.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy is growing up! I saw him bob his head for the first time today and was kissing his toy. I put Buddy and Tweetie side by side again today. This time I left the cages in the living room where they normally are - I just brought Buddy's cage over to Tweetie's. They've paid a whole lot more attention to each other today. I think it was because they were not in a room they don't go into often. They've been jumping on the sides of their cages and chattering back and forth. Buddy wasn't even interested in eating millet! He hopped on my finger but didn't eat. Tweetie came over to my finger as usual, stretched out and ate his millet with his normal gusto.

Dorcas George

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw some wheat grass and I bought some. I put it in Buddy's cage today and he ate some! :dance4: Previously he ate some dill. I think he likes stuff that looks like "grass". When I put cilantro in, he chewed on the stems but not the leaves. View attachment 330651 (camera focused on the grass not buddy. lol)
Just now seeing this. It’s progress! Frost always goes first for the stem of any green food item! Packer likes leaves best. :rolleyes:

Dorcas George

Buddy is growing up! I saw him bob his head for the first time today and was kissing his toy. I put Buddy and Tweetie side by side again today. This time I left the cages in the living room where they normally are - I just brought Buddy's cage over to Tweetie's. They've paid a whole lot more attention to each other today. I think it was because they were not in a room they don't go into often. They've been jumping on the sides of their cages and chattering back and forth. Buddy wasn't even interested in eating millet! He hopped on my finger but didn't eat. Tweetie came over to my finger as usual, stretched out and ate his millet with his normal gusto.
Well that’s more like it, birdies! :embarassed: :heart: Good news!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I think Buddy is confused on what breed he is. He is learning to chirp like budgie from Tweetie but he still chirps like @Beasley love birds and Tweetie is learning that from him. :lol:Now he is doing "heart wings". Tonight was the second time he's done it. It wasn't hot (72F) and he wasn't startled. He put out his wings for a few seconds and then put them down and he repeated it. The picture is blurry because I was rushing to snap it and it is sunset so starting to get dark. He was actually holding his wings out further from his body. What do you think? heart wings.jpg