• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweetie gets a Buddy

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Buddy does think he's a lovebird. I had my suspicion that he chirps like a lovebird but wasn't 100% sure. When I played budgie sounds for him, he didn't react much. This morning I got on YouTube and played a lovebird chirping. Buddy went nuts and his chirps sounded just like the lovebird! :hehepink: Tweetie is at the stage where he is starting to imitate sounds around him. Yesterday he was sitting and singing to himself and he made one of Buddy's "Wheat" sounds. :laughing6: So is Tweetie going to teach Buddy to chirp like a budgie or is Buddy going to teach Tweetie to chirp like a lovebird? :laughing7:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Since I need to keep Buddy in quarantine for another two months, I decided to get him a big cage. The downside is that it is not portable but he at least has a lot of room to play. I thought it would be best to put him near the end of the day so I just moved him in. Poor little guy is frightened. I'm playing love bird sounds to him and he is chirping back every once in a while. He's sitting on the bottom looking around. The only way to get him in was to grab him - there goes the trust.
new cage.jpg new cage1.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Minor disaster hit last night. In the early evening Tweetie had already gone to his sleeping perch, Buddy was checking out his new cage and chirping and I was enjoying some TV time. I heard a funny scraping kind of sound followed by Buddy flapping wildly. It looked like a top corner of the cage broke and collapsed down. Fortunately Buddy was on the opposite side of the cage and the hospital cage was still beside the new cage. I grabbed him out (again!!!) and put him back in the hospital cage. Buddy was not hurt. I checked out the cage. A couple of the wires broke and others bent. It must have already had an issue and the weight of the perches did it in. Realistically, Buddy will moving in with Tweetie in a couple of months. I got another cage today that will give Buddy more room but it is a more typical size. I'm hoping he'll spend most of his time out of the cage so the size won't matter much.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy is chirping, calling and all better in every way. He's in a new temporary cage until I can put him with Tweetie. We are rebuilding the trust from when he was grabbed while sick. Yesterday I put some millet seeds in the palm of my hand. He ate the ones he could reach without standing on my hand but he did step up on my thumb for 2 seconds. Happy Leap Day to all!

Buddy says, "What are you putting that thing in my face for?"
Leap day.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great update!!! Nice to hear he´s doing well :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy started shredding the rope perch and I wasn't sure if he was eating the cotton bits so I removed it. He glared at me because it was his favorite perch. A vendor here (Seriously Nutz) has some sisal ones so I'll replace it with that. I'm checking out different foods to see what he likes. Fortunately when I hold something up to him, he recognizes that its food. He nibbled a bit of kale. I held a banana slice up to him and he came over and looked at it a couple of times but didn't bite. I'll keep checking to see what he really likes.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
That’s awesome that he’s already trying new foods you offer him!!
I love these updates so much btw :joyful:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
I think Buddy is beginning to forgive me for grabbing him when he was sick. Yesterday I held my finger up to him to perch on. He nibbled/bit my finger from the nail to the knuckle - I think he was showing displeasure. I could barely feel it, it was so light and he didn't close his beak on my skin - really more like a nibble or taste. When he stopped and backed away I removed my finger. Later I put my finger up again and he stepped up and stood for awhile and then hopped off. :heart: :heart: :heart: I was ready with the millet for him. He is getting used to me. When I talk to him, he comes over to where I'm standing. He's started playing with his toys and he likes flipping around on his perches (do lovebirds do that - did he learn it from them?). I'm still working on getting him to come out. He doesn't quite trust the "outside" yet.
Buddy Mar 6.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy gets a "salad" every morning. I have been putting a bit of chopped leaf lettuce, various herbs, cabbage, kale, whatever I have and sprinkling millet seeds on top. He's looked at it but hasn't eaten any. Also during the day I'll hand him something different. He has learned that the hand brings something good. This morning I was eating a banana in front of him and he came over to look. I held it up to his cage and he took a couple of nibbles. This afternoon I ate a lettuce leaf in front of him and he "tasted" it. We're getting there!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Tweetie eats only seed, sigh! I've been hanging lettuce leaf, herbs, broccollini and other greens in his cage. At least he no longer runs from them but he hasn't gotten curious enough to nibble. Hopefully one day...