• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweetie gets a Buddy

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Today Buddy seems to be better. He's (Will call Buddy "he" until it becomes more obvious since @Beasley thinks he's a boy) eating and preening but not vocal. His tail still looks like its bobbing. I'm not sure if its a real bob because his tail curves up which may make the natural motion look more exaggerated. After being grabbed in a towel and given a shot and nose drops, Buddy has become hand shy. When I put my hand in his cage he dived to the bottom corner. Before he'd jump up on the hand. Breaks my heart poor little bird.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy seems a bit better this afternoon. A friend who has owned birds for years including budgies came over and said he didn't look too sick. He's eating, drinking water, preening and moving around but haven't heard a peep from him. His tail is bobbing a little but he's breathing better. My friend said it usually takes a couple of days for the medicine to take effect. He's still moving away from my hand but he did hop up when I put some millet in my palm for him. :heart::heart::heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Aaw I’m so sorry to hear Buddy isn’t feeling well! Hopefully he perks up fast and is back to normal in no time ❤ You’re doing great!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awww I’m sorry Buddy doesn’t feel well :( Glad you took him to the vet ASAP though! Hopefully he’s feeling better soon and “forgives” the vet trip- usually mine get over that within a couple days. Also keep in mind he may be less inclined to be social right now if he’s not feeling well. Jo is molting right now and I’m getting major attitude here, so I know the feeling :laugh: Whatever the case you did the right thing for sure, and I’m so happy Buddy has you caring for him!:cloud9:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Last night when I covered him, he flapped his wings a few times and called out. I took that as a good sign. This morning he's been quiet, fluffed up a bit and closing his eyes. He's been eating and drinking well and his droppings look normal. I have uncovered him thinking he should get some light -should I have left him covered (@Zara, @Lady Jane @JoJo&Loki @Lori D Pert @Beasley , anybody else?). Hope he perks up soon. Tweetie has been calling out at the top of his lungs but Buddy doesn't seem interested. Tomorrow he gets his nose drops and next Thurs we go see the AV again for another shot.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I think the calling out was a good sign too :) I’d leave him to get some light today... maybe put on some relaxing music or read to him a bit. You can actually look up “relaxing music for budgies” on YouTube, and I’ve found both my birbs really do get calm and peaceful listening to it.

I hope he continues to get better:sadhug2:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
maybe thats why the others didnt make it? least you caught it in time before it got worse

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try a little wet parsley. Budgies seem to think it is a boing to swing on and then they will get wet and eat a bit. Parsley should not be fed often though. It had an ingreditent that impeads the uptake of calcium as do many other greens.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
He seems a bit better, still breathing a little hard. He has been quiet but did call out to Tweetie once yesterday. Tweetie rises with the sun and goes to bed at dusk. I went to cover Buddy yesterday at dusk and he started flapping to let me know it wasn't his bed time. When I did cover him later he again flapped so I decided he didn't want to be completely covered so I left a gap in the front and turned on a night light for him. He settled down to that. So far today he's about the same. I gave him his nose drops. Of course he didn't like being grabbed and he squealed and bit my hand (very little pinches). I tried to hold a piece of millet for him afterwards but he wouldn't come near :sad7:. Well, this is for his good not mine. He gets his drops every 72 hours - next treatment on Wed and then on Thurs we go back to the AV.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
He really is such a sweet bird, I hate him having to go through this.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy seems better today. He and Tweetie were calling back and forth this morning. His breathing is still a little hard but better. I clipped some baby broccoli to his cage this morning but it doesn't look like he ate any of it. The vet called today to see how he was doing. We go back to see her on Thurs. Buddy hasn't been playing either. He has pin feathers all over his head. I'm not sure how much of his behavior is due to the illness, his molting and/or being in a new home. He is still in the travel/hospital cage.
pinniesFeb11.jpg