• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweetie gets a Buddy

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
For those of you who have been following the "Budgie Foster Family" thread posted by @Beasley you know I picked up Buddy formerly called Blue yesterday. It was a long day for all! I flew from LA to Phoenix in the morning where my friend who was driving from Oklahoma to LA picked me up. We then drove over to pick up Buddy. It was @Beasley birthday but her birds got the toys with a special toy for Buddy's brother, Wiggles. Buddy's travel cage was all set up with a rope perch, food, water and a toy (thank you AA members for the travel advice). The cage needed to be re-arranged a bit and I was so impressed at how nonchalant Buddy was during all of this. And of we went for the 6 hour drive! I covered Buddy's cage leaving the front facing me open. At first Buddy was a little upset, clinging to the bars facing me. He then settled down and moved over to the rope perch. After we were buzzing down the highway for awhile, Buddy started playing with his toy and chirping. I told my friend, "Listen, he has a baby chirp". After a bit I thought, wait a minute - he doesn't sound like a budgie, I think that's a lovebird call!!! :laughing6: When we hit rough pavement, Buddy would jump down to the bottom of the cage and then move backup when things got smoother. He was chirping off and on for the entire journey. I was a little concerned because he wasn't eating but ten he jumped down to his food dish and got a little nibble. So different from Tweetie - he was still chirping even when it got dark. We arrived at my house, put him in my guest room, made sure he had food and water, covered him with a gap in the front, put a night light on and it was "Goodnight, Buddy".

I was so proud of Tweetie. Many things make him afraid but he is getting better. I wondered what he would do without me to cover him up when I got dark. When I got home, he had crawled up to his sleeping perch and looked comfortable. So he also got covered as normal and we all went to bed. I'll keep updating this thread from time to time.

On a personal note, this was the most travelling I've done since my back reconstruction surgery and I was fine!

Travel Buddy Feb 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:yah:
So exciting! Buddy is finally home :starshower1:

(@Zara I couldn't find the instruction on how to quote a thread title)
Type it as you did, then highlight it as click the link icon to hyperlink it. I think you should still have time to edit your post if you want to add it :)
link.png
Alternatively, copy and paste the link directly in the post.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yayyyy!!!! Here you see the importance of good raising - lil Buddy was perfectly equipped to handle things like this by the time he was ready to go home with you.

The way this story is ending is just amazing. I'm so happy for all parties involved <3 And @Beasley = :angel3: :heart:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Quick - somebody tell me about foraging. What do they look for - food, toys? Tweetie doesn't do that so I don't know what Buddy is expecting. This afternoon he'll be out of his cage. He has perching places and toys to play with while outside. This morning he has been "poking" around at the bottom of his cage. What's he looking for down there?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's so great!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Mybluebird I have added the hyperlink as per your request in PM.

Quick - somebody tell me about foraging. What do they look for - food, toys? Tweetie doesn't do that so I don't know what Buddy is expecting.
There is a whole forum on AA dedicated to foraging, have a little read through for some ideas :)
Even something simple, like a dish of beads with some clusters of millet mixed in is foraging, it doesn´t always have to be hard, but it is good to keep switching it up :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's looks like a yung un but can't see top of his head...Glad the trip went well... :heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:yah: Buddy’s home!! :heart: :swoon:This was definitely the best birthday gift I received :cloud9: I’m so glad to hear he did great on the long ride home! And that’s fantastic that you @Mybluebird were okay too, I know how painful car rides can be with a bad back. That’s hilarious that he sounds like a lovebird :embarassed: I am so excited to follow your journey with him now :heart: I bet he’s going to be so excited when he meets Tweetie!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Tweetie and Buddy were chirping back and forth this morning. I had a moment of panic when I saw Buddy on the bottom of his cage all fluffed up. Then he jumped up to a treat cup with some treat seeds and he started eating. He's now fluffed up again and he yawned. I'm guessing he's sleepy from the long day yesterday and being in a new home. I've scheduled his "well bird" visit for Thursday morning. His new AV vet is very nice and knowledgeable about birds. Even Tweetie is a little subdued today - most likely because he was all alone yesterday and I've never done that to him before. Hopefully we'll all settle down into a new routine until I can have Tweetie and Buddy meet. Thanks for all your support!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Anne, for someone to do what you did to pick up Buddy.... so glad you are on this forum to share and we all know he's got a wonderful new home! :D Great to know the trip went well!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
:yah:
Thank you for this awesome update! I’m so glad Buddy was such a trooper on the long ride and also that your back didn’t give you trouble. Blessings all around!

That lil guy is so stinkin cute:heart::heart::heart::heart: I can’t wait til they meet!

As for foraging ideas: there is a section on here but to quickly list some things my birbs enjoy:
They LOVE picking wet sprouts off of veggies I hang from the roof of the cage. I’ll put them in every morning for breakfast and they both get “straight to work” picking off their sprouts

I try to hide little goodies in random spots and toys throughout their cage daily so they can hunt them down.

There’s also soo many awesome vendors on here that have great foraging toys! One of my favorite foraging toys ever is from @WallyLoopey, her shop is Hootnholler Bird Toys. She sells foraging tables and perches (in “budgie” size too!) and they are AMAZING! Both my babies get excited to see what I put in them every time — you can fill with mahogany pods,small wicker balls, Nutriberries etc- soo many options and so fun for them and me!:lol:

Hope you all got some well needed rest today! Can’t wait for more updates!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A couple more links I forgot to post last night :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just knew he would love that trip! SO glad he did! And a big Happy Birthday to @Beasley too!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Unfortunately Buddy developed a respiratory infection. He was looking really bad yesterday and his regular AV was not in. She recommended another vet so I rushed him there. That vet gave him the usual antibiotic drops for treatment. He seemed a little better this morning. Since we already had the appointment with his AV this morning, I took him in. She said she did not like drops because its not easy to control the dosage or make sure they swallow it. She gave him an injection and nose drops to administer every 3 days. We'll go back for a follow up and another injection next week. She said to keep him warm and quiet. She also gave me suggestions for foraging and handling him as well as more taming suggestions for Tweetie. Unfortunately, I won't be able to introduce Buddy and Tweetie for 2-3 months. Once Buddy gets feeling better they can call back and forth.
sick Buddy.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks! Keep your fingers crossed the he responds well and soon. Right now I put his cage on top of a heating pad and have him covered leaving the front open. The tail's bobbing slightly and he's all fluffed up with his eyes closed. I'm so Worried!