• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Turtle “Rescue”

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I looked out my kitchen window this morning, I saw this guy (gal?) in my backyard surrounded by the local Crow family.
9072AE84-13A6-4FA2-9AEB-16FE97B9AD52.jpeg
I couldn’t tell if the turtle was stuck or trying lay eggs (not their usual spot).
7184974F-E214-4785-9A2F-2548419D4E10.jpeg
The turtle seemed to be able to move all of his legs but one, so I went with stuck. Got my leather gloves and picked him up slightly and moved him forward just a tad. When I lifted him, I could tell that his left front claws had gotten tangled in the thatch. Once loose, he scurried back to the pond!

5C678952-B8BD-4A5D-9110-84E34EF63ED0.jpeg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for saving that little guy! I'm glad his leg was okay & the crows hadn't gotten to him. :pinksmile:

Is that your pond? Very pretty area. :wideyed:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! Yes that’s the pond in my area. I’m one of about a dozen homes built around this pond in the mid-60’s. My back yard is very overgrown in some areas, but it is a beautiful, peaceful spot!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Looks like someone was making a nest to lay eggs? I always stop for turtles on the roadway and move them off.

Thank you for being a turtle trooper!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it was a Cooter or Slider, it could have been considering that spot as a nest site. I don't know enough about turtles to fill a thimble, lol! My yard, considering the dogs and cats in the neighborhood, would not be a suitable site! :wideyed:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dagnabbit! Turns out it was a female, she was laying eggs (although I swear I didn’t see any and the hole did not seem deep enough), and the crows ultimately got the eggs :(

This was the hole this morning. It just didn’t seem big or deep enough to hold eggs (it’s about 8 in wide and only looked about 3 or 4 in deep).

2AE4166A-0FEF-4460-8430-9C7B899B5FCD.jpeg

There were about 4 or 5 egg shells lying about presumably because of the crows.

8E874D2D-348B-441A-97A7-24BD884957CD.jpeg

So now I guess I should figure out some way to cage a turtle nest to protect it from predators? Well, assuming another lady seems to think my backyard is the ideal nest spot :facepalm:

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Dagnabbit! Turns out it was a female, she was laying eggs (although I swear I didn’t see any and the hole did not seem deep enough), and the crows ultimately got the eggs :(
Well, nature happens sometimes. And all because of these wretched birds! Oh wait. We like birds around here.

Oh well, a birds gotta eat ya know. Better luck next time, momma turtle.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
That's too bad. I wouldn't think right in the open would be a good spot for a nest especially since you have water closer. I know nothing about turtles but I know I would have moved her closer to the water to.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, nature happens sometimes. And all because of these wretched birds! Oh wait. We like birds around here.

Oh well, a birds gotta eat ya know. Better luck next time, momma turtle.
Yes, well, I feel worse that I interrupted her. I realize ‘nature happens’. I’m not naive. I’m sure she’ll lay again elsewhere.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's too bad. I wouldn't think right in the open would be a good spot for a nest especially since you have water closer. I know nothing about turtles but I know I would have moved her closer to the water to.
Some sources I looked through today stated that these turtles do lay in sandy/loamy soil in clear areas about 100 feet from the water. Apparently they look for clearings so that the hatchlings have an easier time making it to the water.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Beautiful! :heart:

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Yes, well, I feel worse that I interrupted her. I realize ‘nature happens’. I’m not naive. I’m sure she’ll lay again elsewhere.
Sorry that my attempt at a lighthearted comment was insensitive. I didn't intend to direct it at you. Please accept my apology.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hopefully it means, since there wasn't a proper hole for the eggs, the eggs were infertile, but I'm no turtle expert :roflmao: