• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

turning the eggs during storage

winniezon

Jogging around the block
i am so confused. when you are storing parrot eggs do you turn them or just keep them sitting

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Storing parrot eggs for what? I am not sure what you mean.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
are you buying fertile parrot eggs to incubate? I am a little confused

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@ume we have been over this before in your previous thread. Incubating eggs and raising birds from day one is quite the task. One that we should leave to the professionals in circumstances that need it. I can only speculate the precision needed to undertake incubation.
Do you know how patient and precise you must be to feed a chick from hatching? It is so easy to cause aspiration, they are wiggling all over the place, and start getting cold quickly.
I really wish you would give up on the idea of egg incubation. I do not wish to upset you, but those cockatiels should still be with us here but they are not.
Raising chicks means that their lives are depending on us, and when we fail, they die.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
I dont know the context of this, but spare yourself the task of raising babies! As mentioned above, its really hard. I became the accidental mother after my girls eggs hatched when i was sure i swapped them all out to infertile ones and didnt bother candling. The baby was abandoned as it was her first one and i was devastated to see it on the other side of the cage like that. Hes going really strong but i made plenty of mistakes like wrong temp, underfeeding, overfeeding, wrong formula prep. The idea of having cute little hand raised babies is thrilling, but the cost of lost sleep, stress, spendings and panic attacks really is not worth it. Im not sure if you want to keep babies or sell them, but whatever youd be doing its not worth it. Only good scenario i can think of is if you work from home (not just during quarantine if you mean business) and get training from a vet and/or breeder. Either way, please reconsider breeding. If you want a hand raised baby, just buy one!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@ume

My finches breed last year. We left them to be parent raised, but upended up with a 100% hatch rate of 5 chicks. All of them survived the first few weeks, and we ended up with lovely, friendly birds. One of them was even a rare mutation!

I wouldn't recommend hand raising birds from an egg. Even if I had all the time in the world to look after them, I wouldn't take any chances. The only things I would like to hatch are quail for the new aviary, but that is totally different, no formular etc. If you are really desperate to hatch something, maybe try poultry.

Last edited:

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
@ume

My finches breed last year. We left them to be parent raised, but upended up with a 100% hatch rate of 5 chicks. All of them survived the first few weeks, and we ended up with lovely, friendly birds. One of them was even a rare mutation!

I wouldn't recommend hand raising birds from an egg. Even if I had all the time in the world to look after them, I wouldn't take any chances. The only things I would like to hatch are quail for the new aviary, but that is totally different, no formular etc. If you are really desperate to hatch something, maybe try poultry.
Congrats on the healthy babies, Ali!

This idea is really good. Poultry generally requires less care, as pretty much right after hatching they arent completely naked, can see, walk, eat and drink on their own and you pretty much just need a big box from ikea with all the equipment.(that i cant mention since i dont know that much) Theres also a bigger market for them! If you live in an area where farms are popular like me, youd get business left and right. But still, PLEASE, research, ask, watch videos, read books, get training. Its still live animals were talking about.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Ali @ScreamBuddies
OP will be moving half way across the world (soon/at some point in the not too distant future), instead of all this egg talk, best to invest time into figuring how to get their Senegal there, and working out quarantine etc. JMO.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
@Ali @ScreamBuddies
OP will be moving half way across the world (soon/at some point in the not too distant future), instead of all this egg talk, best to invest time into figuring how to get their Senegal there, and working out quarantine etc. JMO.
That will definitely be hard, moving on its own is difficult, let alone pets. Especially quite fragile and exotic pets. I never really researched long travels with birds, mostly cause im fine where i am, so i couldnt be of help :( good luck to you and your babies, best of luck and tell us how it went! Stay safe at this dangerous time!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Ali @ScreamBuddies
Yes sorry, I had forgotten about that!

Just a point for the future though, if @ume really wants to hatch and raise from an egg when he has relocated, it would be a better alternative to parrots or other birds.

When the new aviary is completed, I plan to raise some small quail from the egg.

winniezon

Jogging around the block
i have said before zara i am not moving for at least 3 years

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sorry @ume , I didn't know that.

It would probably still be worth waiting to get another bird when you have relocated anyway. Bird shipping is very expensive, especially at the distance you are wanting to travel! You have to apply for a licence to move you bird from the UK government (assuming that is were you are going) and loads of other things. Most animals after getting of the plane/into the country, have to go through quarantine at the airport.

The guide below is something you really need to look into.

For the sake of your birds and your wallet, be patient, and wait until you move before you increase your collection. You already have some lovely birds, and I am sure they can keep you busy enough until you move.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
i have said before zara i am not moving for at least 3 years
Even if its 3 years from now its better to start thinking. Its better to have a plan set out before than doing it last minute. Again, good luck and stay safe!