• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turkey Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My mum's boyfriend was having a go at using my new Nikon DSLR camera and he got some pretty awesome shots of 2 of our Turkeys! :dance4:

Attachments

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
WOW GREAT SHOTS what kind of turkeys?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They're called "Bush Turkeys", but the person that was living here before us actually saved quite a few of the Turkeys that're now here, before they were *going to be* slaughtered.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are pretty! They look very different from the wild turkeys around here.

Matt

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Scrub Turkeys! :D I love them!

Did you know that Scrub Turkeys are independent from the day they hatch? They just run out of the nest and off they go!

They also have a thermometer in their beaks! The parents don't incubate their eggs. Instead they scrape together huge piles of leaves and lay their eggs in the middle. As the leaves decompose it creates heat. The parents have to contantly push their beaks into the pile of leaves to guage the temperature. Their beaks are so finely tuned that they can feel 1 degree of difference and either add or take away some leaves to get the eggs to the perfect temperature again.

The eggs also need 95% humidity in order to successfully hatch! That is a lot!

I just love these birds. They are absolutely fascinating! You are lucky to have so many on your property! :D

I didn't know people slaughtered them. Is it to eat?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:lol: Kelsey, I knew about a few things, but not that much.

2 of them had babies this year, and to see little baby turkeys running around in my backyard was so adorable - they done everything by their-selves, including looking for food which we provide a lot of the time and they'll go hunt around for food too on the ground getting whatever they can find. :D

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes, to eat them. The man that lived here started naming them, but when they had babies there was just too many to tell who's who and he got confused so he gave up.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, they are just so adorable! They kind of look like Vultures! I have never seen that kind of turkey, I guess we don't have those here in the US? Kelsey I did not know that, I knew a little about it but not that much, that is very cool!

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Nope, they are native Australian turkeys. :)

They are actually similar to reptiles with their laying and incubating methods. The temperature of the grass mound they make actually influences the sex of the chicks that will hatch! If I remember correctly, higher temperatures produce females and lower temperatures produce males.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: Those are great pics!! :highfive:

Justina

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Justina
I've never seen turkeys that up close before. I try to stay away, something my cats while I was growing up never learned how to do. They would come home with many battle wounds, because they would get too close.

Beautiful pictures, awesome camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.