• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tumor or Egg bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saraviah

Moving in
My mother has had a parakeet named Sango for about 5 years and about a year ago we bought a baby parakeet which we thought was a female. But just recently her nose has been starting to get a blueish tint to it. Anyways..Sango has a smallish red bump on her butt which shes even been pecking at and theres blood drips laying at the bottom of the cage. I feel horrible because my mother does not have enough money to take her to the vet until her next paycheck which then might be to late... I found a very useful site which gives us tips on what to do if she is egg bound So my two questions are is 1: Is this a tumor or is she egg bound? and 2: Is our other bird a male or female?
I would also like to add that Sango has never had eggs before.

This is a picture of Sango's butt:

Here is a picture of Lilly's Beak(it looks more purple then blue..):

Thank you very much for your time and if anyone would like to know anything else or see more pictures please just ask!

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I am going to move this to our 911 section so it will get more attention

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
One thing I will say while we are waiting for someone who may know, dont assume the vet wont work with you on making payments. I would have this checked out sooner than later if at all possible. Do you have an avian vet near where you live or do you need help finding one?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It looks like cloacal prolapse to me. She needs to get to the vet.

Saraviah

Moving in
One thing I will say while we are waiting for someone who may know, dont assume the vet wont work with you on making payments. I would have this checked out sooner than later if at all possible. Do you have an avian vet near where you live or do you need help finding one?
We have tried calling countless vets in our area and none of them are accepting later payments even our regular vet. : (

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
The only way to know for sure is to get her to a qualified avian vet. Again, time is of the essence if you want to save your birds life.

Saraviah

Moving in
The only way to know for sure is to get her to a qualified avian vet. Again, time is of the essence if you want to save your birds life.
Yes i completely agree with you! My mother has called tons of avian vets in our area most of them the doctor wasn't in and the others would not accept payment plans..This is a very sad thing and were just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible..

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the little one is able to get the help she needs.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
meanwhile keep the birdie warm and comfy..offer plenty of calci rich foods such as broccoli and kale..try taking her in the bathroom..run the bathtub or shower on hot for about 10 minutes while holding your birdie in a towel...let the steam and humidity in the air do its work...take her back into the cage...put a small paper towel on the bottom of the grate....I will pray for yo ur birdie..and hope she is eggbound and that it will clear up soon..but I fear that it is a prolapse.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm 99% positive you're dealing with a prolapse; I've dealt with it twice. Once was very obvious in my lovebird who needed emergency surgery and once with a budgie who started with just a small reddish lump like that, and it turned into her almost bleeding to death because she pecked at it. It will NOT resolve itself. She will die if untreated, and I'm not exaggerating.

I pray you can find a vet who will treat her.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor baby...is there anyone that can lend her the money for a visit? Credit card?

I would be very concerned....if it is a prolapse she needs help right away...Kiwi had prolapses but they were bright red, so not sure if that is what yours is....if it is though, it needs to be kept moist.

Saraviah

Moving in
Awe poor baby...is there anyone that can lend her the money for a visit? Credit card?

I would be very concerned....if it is a prolapse she needs help right away...Kiwi had prolapses but they were bright red, so not sure if that is what yours is....if it is though, it needs to be kept moist.
Yes thank you all for your responses and i think your all right about it being Prolapse. We have warm steam and hot packs close to her and were doing everything you all have recommended. Sadly we have not found any vet that will take payments and so far we will have to wait until my mom gets her paycheck : (. Thank you all so much for your help and i hope she can hold on for a couple more days...

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Sending tons of good thoughts your way! When will you be able to take her? You might want to schedule that appt now.

Saraviah

Moving in
Sending tons of good thoughts your way! When will you be able to take her? You might want to schedule that appt now.
aw thank you thats very sweet of you!
They are not my birdies they belong to my mom and shes saying the vet will be back in on Wednesday and she will call and talk to him but my mom will not be able to pay for anything until next Monday. T-T

Saraviah

Moving in
If somebody could can i please get a link to exactly what a prolapse is and what causes it or have someone explain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.