• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Tumor or Egg bind?

Pearls

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I have my little budgie girl for about 7 years, I got her since very early age, so she would be around 7 years old. She is well bonded with me over the long years, but I let her be free in the house, so she has always open cage.
She was growing old and sad recently, so I got her a company bird, another young male. She started to be more lively again and bonded with him very well, she started flying around a lot more and overlall more energetic and happy.
However, recently I discovered she has developed a bump on her tummy, two days ago!, but it is quite high on her chest, rather than at her lower part. She is also too old now to have eggs, maybe? Also, she has never laid an egg yet! I thought it could be egg bind but when I held her this looks more like tumor. She is fine otherwise, even after investigating her she was a little uncomfortable, poor thing, but she got back to herself after 10 minutes and cheerful back again.
I have a vet appointment on Monday (its Saturday today), but that is a long way, so I hope maybe some of you are more experienced and know of what could it be and prepare me for what to expect at the vet.. Many thanks!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m glad you have an appointment in the works. Though I would call back and see if there´s an emergency option. If not, perhaps look at other vets for emergency treatment.

(bump - 911 thread)

Pearls

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi Thank you for advice. I have been to the vet today. Pearl is still normal, I mean she eats, plays, flies around, responds as usual.. but this is not egg bound, and the vet said that this is some tumour, however without sample this is not certain. Her tumour keeps growing though, it is really big today, so I was given antibiotics, painkillers and cream for the wound , to apply twice a day in the meantime, and surgery is advised but no promise of it's outcome. The surgery cost is nearly £500, plus costs of after care. It will be hard for me to find this money especially now with living crisis, and the only option to spread the cost is pay all in two instalments by the end of the year, not very helpful.
So, I was advised to wash the wound with salted water, to disinfect and apply cream, plus medication. If I find money for the surgery I might update this thread.

Attachments