• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Tumor in my budgie

inthenorth

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello Dear Friends ,

7 months ago in my my male budgie a cyst appeared.When I began to noticed it , I directly went to vet . She said unfortunately there is nothing to do with this tumor.But I determined and went to other vet and he tried to take some sample by injector but it was not able to take that was so strict. He can not fly any more since 4 weeks because of heaviness mass.And that is increasing everyday. I wonder is there any treatment for this big mass.So painful to watch suffering my beautiful budgie. I am thinking to do start 35% FOOD GRADE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE treatment which is I have read on some blog but I am afraid to start on the other hand , does someone inform me about this treatment is it worth to try ? . Thanks in advance .

Photos of my budgie :

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How old is he? Unfortunately there really isn't anything that can be done to cure it. Its something that is commonly seen in geriatric birds. Their age and the fact that they are so small makes it impossible to do any kind of surgery because the anesthetic/surgery would be enough to kill them.

Keep him comfortable and warm. Prevent him from falling and provide some kind of fine grate very close to his perch so he can literally sit down and relax on a flat surface. Make food and water very available and easy accessible so he doesn't have to move in ways that would be uncomfortable. I'm very sorry he is like that. Since he has stopped flying altogether you should prepare yourself because he is not going to last a long time now.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am sorry you are going through this. :( Hydrogen peroxide will not help the tumor, and could end up hurting more. The best you can do if the vet isn't able to remove it, is keep him warm and comfortable.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: Make sure he can easily get to his food & water. Maybe a platform perch to rest or put things on the bottom of the cage. I hope he is not in pain.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
As @LunaLovebird stated, hydrogen peroxide won't do anything in this case. Since the vet diagnosed it as a tumor (and not an abcess, which could be drained), there are virtually no non-surgical options here.

In the long term, please keep the HHHHHMM Scale in mind and go over it with your vet. It will help you gauge his quality of life.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor little guy.
Is the tumor still getting bigger?
It looks to be big enough that it can't be surgically removed - about all that can be done is to work on improving his general health.
Did your vet say if it was a fatty tumor (xanthoma) or cholesterol tumor (xanthoma)? They are common in budgies. When my budgie had a xanthoma, my vet recommended adding a tiny bit of organic red palm oil to his food (grain of rice sized portion). In people, red palm oil has been shown to lower cholesterol and it's something that you can offer safely - a lot of birds think it's a treat. It's probably not going to make your budgie all better, but it may help shrink the tumor a little. If he's reluctant to eat it, you can liquify the oil by placing the bottle in a container of hot water and add one drop to a teaspoon or so of seeds and give it an hour or so for the oil to soak into the seeds before offering them.

I really lucked out with my little guy and in his case, the tumor did eventually dry up and die (it turned into a huge ugly black scab that eventually fell off, barely even leaving a scar). However, Pippin later died from a liver tumor which was most likely related.

Actually budgies are prone to liver problems and fatty liver as well, so giving him a little milk thistle supplement to help his liver can't hurt either. Look for one that is alcohol free.

inthenorth

How old is he? Unfortunately there really isn't anything that can be done to cure it. Its something that is commonly seen in geriatric birds. Their age and the fact that they are so small makes it impossible to do any kind of surgery because the anesthetic/surgery would be enough to kill them.

Keep him comfortable and warm. Prevent him from falling and provide some kind of fine grate very close to his perch so he can literally sit down and relax on a flat surface. Make food and water very available and easy accessible so he doesn't have to move in ways that would be uncomfortable. I'm very sorry he is like that. Since he has stopped flying altogether you should prepare yourself because he is not going to last a long time now.
He is almost 6 years old , Thank you very much for your response and advises.I will try to be more careful about your advises .

inthenorth

@karen256 I feel so sorry for your lost... Unfortunately , It is getting bigger. I am thinking to start your treatment way, All I want is shrink the tumor at least a little that can make better my little budgie.

Bird Mumma

Moving in
@inthenorth @karen256 I was so pleased to read your accounts of Tumors. So terribly sorry for your loss, Karen and I hope all is well with all your other feathered friends.
My geriatric budgie has a Tumor which has grown in size. It was about 25% the size a year ago, when she had other very significant reproductive issues going on, the vet suggested that was the least of her problems. Now it is changing colour and I’m hoping it is dying/starting to drop off. She’s seeing the vet tomorrow. Is the presentation a little like when your baby’s Tumor started to drop off, Karen? I’m not opposed to having it removed if the vet suggests this tomorrow. Although she is very old, she is in much better health than 12 months ago. Hopefully there will be some answers tomorrow.

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@inthenorth @karen256 I was so pleased to read your accounts of Tumors. So terribly sorry for your loss, Karen and I hope all is well with all your other feathered friends.
My geriatric budgie has a Tumor which has grown in size. It was about 25% the size a year ago, when she had other very significant reproductive issues going on, the vet suggested that was the least of her problems. Now it is changing colour and I’m hoping it is dying/starting to drop off. She’s seeing the vet tomorrow. Is the presentation a little like when your baby’s Tumor started to drop off, Karen? I’m not opposed to having it removed if the vet suggests this tomorrow. Although she is very old, she is in much better health than 12 months ago. Hopefully there will be some answers tomorrow.
That user has not been active in 3 years. You may be more successful if you start your own thread as this one is quite old. :(

deb8ken

Moving in
Real Name
deb aitken
I bought a little hen for my lonely fella and they bred . After she bred I noticed she had a dirty bum so took the nest away and got her out to clean her up ..I found a lump just like this . I think breeding brought this on maybe . Ive put her in a cage where she can climb as flying is difficult and am feeding heaps of sow thistle and dandelion .. IDK what else to do ..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Take your bird to an avian vet and get a proper diagnosis with the appropriate treatment.

deb8ken

Moving in
Real Name
deb aitken
closest avian vet is 5 hours away .. we are not allowed to travel due to covid , not even sure if I could do the 10 hour plus trip anyway alone ..

doing the best I can .

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
closest avian vet is 5 hours away .. we are not allowed to travel due to covid , not even sure if I could do the 10 hour plus trip anyway alone ..

doing the best I can .
There is no home remedy for this condition. If the mass is benign and just a fatty tumour that is small they may be able to treat it. If the mass is large and/or cancerous then it's just a matter of time before it takes your bird's life. I'm sorry your bird has this.

deb8ken

Moving in
Real Name
deb aitken
There is no home remedy for this condition. If the mass is benign and just a fatty tumour that is small they may be able to treat it. If the mass is large and/or cancerous then it's just a matter of time before it takes your bird's life. I'm sorry your bird has this.
thank you .. I will give her the best life I can and hope a avian vet sets up practice here soon ... Spoke to one on the phone and due to its size and how quick it came on then it will be a short life ..