• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tucuman amazon

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
As the “interim” adoptions/foster coordinator for a local parrot rescue, I received a surrendered tucuman Amazon last week. The owners had not had the bird for long (only since June), and they said when they adopted him from another shelter, they were given no information on his background. Or, hers, as I am thinking is the likelier case. Are there any other tucuman owners here? Her lily-of-the-valley-like scent is kind of heavenly — and sometimes it seems stronger? She seems a little lighter in weight than she should be (around 238g), but her surrendering owners said they only fed her cockatiel seed and human junk food — but what she mostly ate was millet. () — diet change is at the forefront of mind as I work with this guy (gal?), and while I know where I want to get to (fresh veggies/chop and no-sugar/corn pellets, with the occasional seed/nut for training) I am not so sure the best route to get there. I personally do not have Amazon experience (I have a mini macaw and am also fostering a Goffin’s cockatoo at the moment), so any advice is helpful! AECF03F8-4ED2-400A-AEDA-36A8D2826D8B.jpeg

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
As the “interim” adoptions/foster coordinator for a local parrot rescue, I received a surrendered tucuman Amazon last week. The owners had not had the bird for long (only since June), and they said when they adopted him from another shelter, they were given no information on his background. Or, hers, as I am thinking is the likelier case. Are there any other tucuman owners here? Her lily-of-the-valley-like scent is kind of heavenly — and sometimes it seems stronger? She seems a little lighter in weight than she should be (around 238g), but her surrendering owners said they only fed her cockatiel seed and human junk food — but what she mostly ate was millet. () — diet change is at the forefront of mind as I work with this guy (gal?), and while I know where I want to get to (fresh veggies/chop and no-sugar/corn pellets, with the occasional seed/nut for training) I am not so sure the best route to get there. I personally do not have Amazon experience (I have a mini macaw and am also fostering a Goffin’s cockatoo at the moment), so any advice is helpful! View attachment 415042
Beautiful Amazon! I have an OWA. She loves her apples in the morning and eggs (I make the eggs in a variety 0f ways), afternoon/evening shell get her walnuts. I buy sprouted organic sunflower seeds and she's not really a fan. Before me she was getting shelled peanuts that she really appreciated but she does not get this with me. She also loves her junk food (ie pasta and popcorn)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Smells like lily of the valley, eh? Not a budgie, but I'm interested... :laugh:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I only have BFA experience. Mine were on crummy diets but I really had no issues transferring to pellets. I gave them 2 choices of pellets EVERY DAY in their bowl and they'd decide which pellets they wanted each day. I can't recall if I kept prior food with it but I imagine I did.

Mine were also good at following the lead of others. I'd show them a food bowl with veggies and if they turned up a beak, I'd give it to the other bird. Once that bird took one veggie in their beak, suddenly they were interested.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
By the way, birdie is quite beautiful!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I can see that she has a leg band. Being that tucuman amazons are such a rare species, you may be able find some information on this specific bird if you were to contact the American Federation of Aviculture and/or the Avicultural Society of America. They may recognize the breeder's leg band information if so background would be helpful. Other than that, their care is the exact same as the other species of amazons.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I can see that she has a leg band. Being that tucuman amazons are such a rare species, you may be able find some information on this specific bird if you were to contact the American Federation of Aviculture and/or the Avicultural Society of America. They may recognize the breeder's leg band information if so background would be helpful. Other than that, their care is the exact same as the other species of amazons.
Yes, I believe that this bird came from Howard Voren’s aviaries — the band has an AFA logo, and “HJV” followed by four numbers. It is not clear from the website whether they are still breeding, or when they last sold birds for the pet trade, as Mr. Voren himself passed away several years ago.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, I believe that this bird came from Howard Voren’s aviaries — the band has an AFA logo, and “HJV” followed by four numbers. It is not clear from the website whether they are still breeding, or when they last sold birds for the pet trade, as Mr. Voren himself passed away several years ago.
You are correct. That was the ID that Howard Voren used.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What is the name of cutie pie?

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Thank you all for the suggestions/information/support! The name he/she came with is Sgt. Lyons. I don't know why. I've been calling it Puffbird, because he/she is frequently all puffed up and so much stouter in appearance than the macaws I am used to! My daughter is using the name "Tango". I have been giving pellets daily, mixed in with other foods -- for example, in one dish, I have a mix of pellets and cockatiel seed, but I am decreasing the amount of the seeds and increasing the amount of pellets only very slightly, day by day. The other food dish usually has some kind of fresh veggies/chop and some seed (again, decreasing the seed). In the morning, Puff gets some finely diced and mixed chop (with veggies, cooked legumes, and whole grains); I have been adding in little bites of other foods later in the day (so far, I've tried broccoli florets, red bell pepper, and canned corn; sweet potato and eggs are "on deck" for this week's surprises). Sometimes I mix in a little bit of ground flax seed or a few hemp seeds. Mostly, Puff goes to his food dish, roots around, and then pulls out chunks to fling at me, so that's fun. Hopefully he is eating SOME of it... which he must be, given that his weight is not fluctuating by more than a gram.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@PetFoster , you have all of my dream birds and i am not getting them. So, I am going to rob your flock very soon :lol: . Jokes apart, what a beautiful Zon!! And about the scent, it's awesome, I know! Let me congratulate you for being so lucky. :heart::heart:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Quite a rare species you have there :wideyed: I have no experience with Tucuman amazons but these people own them
@Kelmarbis @Dlynjen (They haven’t been active for a while so cross your fingers).
What a beautiful bird :xflove: