• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tteok got beat up.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Lordamercy it's been a week. Murphys Law has been in effect alllllllllll week - anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Last night,I couldn't get Tteok in his cage. The nerd is fully flighted, andI couldn't catch him. So I thought screw it, the bird room has a door to shut, I'll leave him out and close him in. There's nothing for him to get into trouble with.

Welp, that was apparently incorrect. At some point in the night, Isadora was able to work her cage cover off, and I'm guessing Tteok was encroaching on her space.

He's bald today.

He's not currently bleeding. I've taken a warm damp paper towel and cleaned it up now. He's not scratching at it or anything.

But man. This was certainly something to wake up to.

Attachments

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Sorry that happened, but glad it wasn't more serious.

Marvin learned the hard way to keep away from Jericho too, and that was "supervised" (pro tip: there's no such thing, we humans are far too slow).

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Did you try turning the lights off in the room to catch him?

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! Poor Tteok! I'm glad he's not bleeding or anything though. It's just one of those weeks huh? :sadhug2:

Is Tteok food motivated at all? With Pico he goes in as soon as I hold up the safflower seed (he's got our routine down) but with Sonny he was less food motivated so I tend to remove all food and water from outside the cage about 30 minutes before bedtime so he doesn't put up much of a fuss when it's time to go in since by that time he'll go for the treat or want water.

Or maybe you can even look into getting one of those room dividers for your bird room?

Hope you have a better week going forward though!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh goodness! Poor little guy I'm so sorry this happened to him. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt worse and is doing OK.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Did you try turning the lights off in the room to catch him?
yeah - unfortunately this seems to be the one area he keeps some intelligence. He knows when I'm about to put everyone up for bed, and even dimming the lights and what not doesn't deter him from playing "catch me if you can."

Oh no! Poor Tteok! I'm glad he's not bleeding or anything though. It's just one of those weeks huh? :sadhug2:

Is Tteok food motivated at all? With Pico he goes in as soon as I hold up the safflower seed (he's got our routine down) but with Sonny he was less food motivated so I tend to remove all food and water from outside the cage about 30 minutes before bedtime so he doesn't put up much of a fuss when it's time to go in since by that time he'll go for the treat or want water.

Or maybe you can even look into getting one of those room dividers for your bird room?

Hope you have a better week going forward though!
He is, but not enough for me to utilize it against him :roflmao: when I'm out there, he stays away from her. I'm guessing he thought he was safe because she was caged and he was on the other side of the bars. Turns out, the devil has reach:facepalm:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is, but not enough for me to utilize it against him :roflmao: when I'm out there, he stays away from her. I'm guessing he thought he was safe because she was caged and he was on the other side of the bars. Turns out, the devil has reach:facepalm:
Aww yeah they just get way too curious for their own good sometimes :confused:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'd treat as suspect head trauma. That's a large beak and it's very much a possibility. And keep caged for at least 48 hours and evaluate.

Extra treats for sure.

Feel better buddy

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Poor baby ouch extra treats for sure. If you can start training "cage up" like 45 minutes before bedtime. Bebe was such monster about going to bed when I first got him. Favorite treats in hand and sit by cage. Talk softly to get their attention, show treat and cage up. Put treat in food dish inside of cage. Keep routine same every night and shorten time to 10 minutes gradually. They figure it out pretty quick .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh boy that is so scary, I would definitely also treat it as Pixiebeak recommends.. as a suspected head trauma just in case.
Hope Tteok is ok.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'd treat as suspect head trauma. That's a large beak and it's very much a possibility. And keep caged for at least 48 hours and evaluate.

Extra treats for sure.

Feel better buddy
Oh boy that is so scary, I would definitely also treat it as Pixiebeak recommends.. as a suspected head trauma just in case.
Hope Tteok is ok.
I did - He was caged all day yesterday, and will be today (I'm out of the house all day today anyway). He's very upset over it, but it'll be a good time out for him.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yeah - unfortunately this seems to be the one area he keeps some intelligence. He knows when I'm about to put everyone up for bed, and even dimming the lights and what not doesn't deter him from playing "catch me if you can."
Have you tried complete darknness once the other birds are caged with a small light over Tteoks cage ?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poor boy is he still feeling okay? Glad it wasn’t worse, large birds are capable of killing through the bars. how scary to have something like this happen. Hope you find a way to put him up for the night. Reserving seeds for that usually works well as well, only serve them in his cage right before bed time.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My Maxi Nerd broke my House Finch Beepers foot through the bars when he decided he didn't like her hanging on the bars beside him snoozing. He decided he was jealous of the attention she was getting and could fly better than him so made it his mission to eliminate her one piece at a time.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Luckily he wasn't successful and we adjusted the protocols around those two as they eventually had it in for each other.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Have you tried complete darknness once the other birds are caged with a small light over Tteoks cage ?
Oh yeah, we've done all the tricks. He's just... Anti bedtime. Like a small child. :rofl:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
He's healing - it looks absolutely awful, but most injuries look worse before they look better. He's still acting 100% OK, and doesn't seem to have learned his lesson, because he STILL tries to land on her cage.

Attachments

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's healing - it looks absolutely awful, but most injuries look worse before they look better. He's still acting 100% OK, and doesn't seem to have learned his lesson, because he STILL tries to land on her cage.
Aw bud you've gotta be smarter and not risk fate again.