• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Trying to understand my Hawkhead rescue Hawkeye

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Do you still own your Hawk head - Hawkeye? I too own a Hawk head if you have any questions I may not be able to solve your question directly BUT I can tell you my experiences with mine, which seem similar to what you experienced above.

Jessiemay

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessie
Hi! I do still have my Hawkhead. He's about 20 years old and I adopted him from a rescue about 4 months ago. My plan is to be his forever home! He is slowly coming around, I am the person he has chosen. He lets me scratch his head now, and loves to chat with me and generally get attention. He is not stepping up yet, he seems extremely scared or upset by seeing hands as well as training targets. We are training now with vocal cues, he sings the song or note I request and gets his treat, very smart bird! I have been getting him used to the position my hand will be in when he does eventually step up, and he's allowing me to get closer slowly without hissing or threatening to bite. I admit I am afraid to push it with him because I've seen the result of a bite from him - it may require medical intervention to say the least. He has had the opportunity to bite me quite a few times and has not, just made the threat.

I would love to hear anything you know that may be helpful! I love this bird and want the best life for him, whatever that looks like.

NancyS

Moving in
I have had hawk headed parrots for over 25 years. That rescue gave you some of the worst advice ever for any parrot, much less a hawk headed parrot. This is definitely not a species for everyone. They become fearful for seemingly "unknown" reasons (but they probably know the reason). They often feather destruct. They aren't know to love everyone. Breeding them was a real adventure. Thankfully I never had any loss due to aggression, but they are incredibly different from any other parrot. A hen will hurt a male just as quickly as a male hurting a hen.

Just give him lots of space and time. Lots of time. Sit near his cage and read a book or play on your computer. Don't make any demands. He'll come around in time.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh wow he’s gorgeous never seen one before

Heather773

Moving in
Real Name
Heather Bowling
Hello!
I'm new to the forum :) I've recently adopted what was portrayed as a "bonded pair"; Hawkeye a Hawkhead of about 20 years of age, and Mango a double-yellow headed amazon of unknown age. My partner and I spent a couple of months visiting them at the rescue before taking them home.

Turns out, they're not as bonded as thought. Hawkeye is a typical Hawkhead from what I've read. He is very smart and funny, notices every detail and change. He is also very moody, hormonal, and aggressive to the point of giving dangerous bites to hands. I can scratch his head if he's distracted with a toy, but its a game to him. He desperately wants to bite every hand. When he's not focused on that he is a very funny and engaging bird, has lots of different laugh tracks he cycles through, whistles and kisses, says a few words and dances a little. We try to keep him engaged without overwhelming him. He likes to be on the perch in the window pretending he's in a tree, watching people in the neighborhood walk their dogs. He's a watch-parrot!

I've seen other people posting about a Hawkhead named Hawkeye, could it be this bird? I have pictures of his leg band, though I really don't know how to read it. Just hoping to find out anything about these 2 birds, and how to make sure they are living their best birdie life.

View attachment 407505 View attachment 407506
He is absolutely gorgeous

Jessiemay

Real Name
Jessie
He is absolutely gorgeous
Thank you! He's gotten even more beautiful IMO :) I post him on instagram under @hawkheadedparrot and I've connected with a few other HH owners. He loves to hear other HH's voices.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you! He's gotten even more beautiful IMO :) I post him on instagram under @hawkheadedparrot and I've connected with a few other HH owners. He loves to hear other HH's voices.
Hawkeye and Mango?
I follow a few HH's on IG, if you are the one I just mentioned I am now following you too :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You should post more pics here too!

Jessiemay

Real Name
Jessie
Hawkeye and Mango?
I follow a few HH's on IG, if you are the one I just mentioned I am now following you too :)
Yes! Hawk and Mango. We adopted them together. Mango is my partners boy, he is very bonded to him. Hawk has turned into my baby, he needs a lot of behavioral work but he's come a long way!