• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to train two budgies in same cage, starting to feel hopeless

birdlovr

Moving in
Real Name
Brooklyn
I have two bonded budgies in the same cage. They are getting a flight cage pretty soon with more toys. When I open the cage door to play, sometimes Sterling (blue budgie male) will come out to a perch and interact with me. Star (yellow and green female) is quite more timid.
I have been teaching Sterling recall training (by saying “Come!” And wiggling my pointer and middle finger, he sometimes flies over and I click and reward with millet). However, I am so lost on how to train both of my birds! There are soo many conflicting opinions on whether they should both be out, only one out, and even one in another room! I always keep the cage door open so Sterling can decide to go back in but he sometimes just goes in for a quick snack, then comes back out. I have no idea when to stop the training sessions, or even if I’m starting them correctly. I’m trying to get Star to observe and learn, but unsure how to!

Should I teach them to step up first, then recall training? I am genuinely lost when it comes to training two! I’ve only successfully trained one before :sad1:

Attachments

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It depends on the birds so I'd suggest taking your cues from them (which is a recommendation in general).
  • For some, it will prove too distracting or meddlesome to train together.
  • For others, it can be beneficial for a more timid bird to see the successful efforts of the other.
Teaching step-up would be a more basic introductory behaviour prior to recall.

Once an appropriate level of trust is established, I'd also perform training in a neutral location away from other distractions (cage, toys, food, etc).

Until then, training where they're most comfortable has its advantages.

birdlovr

Moving in
Real Name
Brooklyn
Thank you! I will resume training once I receive their flight cage + wait a few days for them to observe it, and rehome them, so I can do some perch stationing for them! :laugh-bounce:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oooooohhh! You're getting a new flight cage! That'll be fun to outfit. :) Please post pics when it's done.