• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to introduce new toys/food, no luck

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I’ve been trying to give new toys to my budgies Dave and Felipe, as well as fruits and vegetables, but they fly away from anything I show them. I haven’t found a way to help them be less scared, does anyone know what to do here?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

I dont keep budgies but will tag some people who do, do you have more info about your budgies there setup and there current diet this will help with advice..

@Ripshod @Sparkles99 @Shezbug

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take some time :) my Quaker took 6 months to eat pellets, my Jardine's only really started eating veggies after 3 years

Some links that may help:

chigen123

Strolling the yard
It can take some time :) my Quaker took 6 months to eat pellets, my Jardine's only really started eating veggies after 3 years

Some links that may help:

Sounds like it‘ll take some time! Thanks for the links, I’ll go check those out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My budgie has never eaten fruit but he really loves some dripping wet leafy greens (cos lettuce, baby spinach and broccolini are his favourites) or fresh (bird safe) seeded grass hung from the roof of the cage.

For new toys, perches or other cage accessories, if my little guy shows discomfort or fear then I walk backwards away from the cage with the item and watch him, when he settles and shows he’s ok with how far away the new thing is I stop and leave it at that distance- I’ll move it a tiny bit closer the next day and if he’s ok with that then it stays and I repeat till it’s in the cage. Generally I’ve only ever had to give it a day or two till he’s satisfied the new toy/item isn’t a bird eater and then he doesn’t care if I put the new thing in the cage.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I’ve been trying to give new toys to my budgies Dave and Felipe, as well as fruits and vegetables, but they fly away from anything I show them. I haven’t found a way to help them be less scared, does anyone know what to do here?
My budgies are suspicious of anything new I put in their cage. If they seem panicked about a new toy I remove it and hang it outside the cage for a couple of days before I reintroduce it in their space. (I don't want them to injure themselves trying to get away from the "monster".) If they are simply avoiding the toy I leave it inside the cage for them to investigate when they're ready.

I introduced veggies by sprinkling seed on the veggies for the first week or so and offering it first thing in the morning when they were hungrier. (They get little tastes of the veg while they're eating seeds.) They accepted the veggies rather quickly. I don't know if this will work for your flock.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'd try leaving new toys even if there's little interest in them. Currently their cages are kind of exposed. Food I've found much more difficult.