• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to help skylar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I have been doing a lot of reading about helping Skylar then i thought he was going to a good home well they flaked witch is fine.

I am not giving up on him. Right now buying books is not a huge option as he need to go to the vet first and get a bigger cage.

What can i do for him he has spray mullet but how much is safe to give him he likes apple if i cut them in small pieces.

I am going to do everything I can to teach him to trust people again

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Talk to Tamara at True Love Aviary, she and her husband Rodney are considered the Avenue experts on Lovebirds and I'm sure they can recommend what is right for Skylar.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
The best thing that you can do is to take your time and be patient. If he is flying at people and landing on them and biting them, I would probably do some training with him inside the cage, then gradually work up to stepping up onto a stick and targeting and things like that. I would do clicker training with him, it can do wonders. There is a yahoo group called Bird Click that is free and there is a ton of information on that list. Also, visit Good Bird, Inc. Also, lots of good information. What you don't want is for him to practice the biting. So, for me, my goals for him would be 1) just generally teaching him that people are good by offering treats, 2) then teaching him to step up onto a stick, 3) making sure when you do decide he is ready to be out flying that he can't land on your husbands shoulder which you know will lead to a bite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Talk to Tamara at True Love Aviary, she and her husband Rodney are considered the Avenue experts on Lovebirds and I'm sure they can recommend what is right for Skylar.
how do I find them?

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
If you cannot buy books right now, check in with your library. They may have some of them.

I agree that Tamara is a good person to talk to about Lovebirds:) I know she will do all she can to help you!

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Hey, guys!

There was another thread started with the exact same topic as this one, so I merged them into one. However, it was my first time doing that and I lost one post. I do not remember who posted it but it was about how they gave their Tiels 3 inches of millet. If that person sees this, please repost and accept my apologies.

The good news is that I learned how to merge posts and threads:) I am very sorry if I caused anyone any inconvenience.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
I did get some good reading we are going to try to establish a routine and get Sklyar on a schedule how much seed do they need a day

Remember Skylar is a seed junky so he wont touch anything else

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat

Thought yall would like a update of his progress

Please dont mind the hair I have not taken a shower yet today LOL just woke and want to give skylar some time out

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Aww. That's great. I have alot of pre-shower still in my pj's pictures too. When the moment is there you can't miss it.

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
INSPIRATION :) My lovebirds are rescues (I consider them to be anyway) and none of them are hand tame and they are all SKITTISH when I even come in the room. 1 of them has started to come around but he wont come out of his cage.When they first came home with us I had the "girls" cage in the living room where we spend most of our time and for 3 days all they would do is hang upside down! I felt they were stressed so I placed their cage in a room that we go in to but that has less traffic than the living room. They are still scared of me but I hope that with time they will come around. Even if they don't I love them anyway! But your story gives me hope ;) Let me know how the seed diet goes bc I was having the SAME problem with Sitka(FM) and Kiska(FM) but Dink (M) and Tessa(FM) will at least eat spinach but not much else.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwwwwhat a great update and looks like that birdie is absolutelyin love with you..how wonderful

Status
Not open for further replies.