• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

trying to help him?

dori

Meeting neighbors
my grandparents live in another country and since i'm visiting in the summer, i was wondering how i could help their cockatiel, they don't take very good care of him and he's violent (bites a lot) as a result . i was just wondering how could i help him ? bring him toys, tame him ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds do not usually bite, except if they are threatened or have behavior issues. Try to find out why the bird is biting.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Diet and toys are important for cockatiels and would be easier to change than, say, the cage size. Pellets and vegetables should be part of his diet. Lots of different toy types: paper, cardboard, plastic, soft wood, beads, swings, bells, etc. You could also provide him some natural branch perches, he might not have any. Depending on how long you stay with him, just spending time with him would be beneficial. Reading him a book, playing music, or watching a movie could be fun for him. Or maybe let him out for some fly-time if comfortable and prepared.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Would your grandparents be willing to watch videos on training parrots? There are some great DVDs by Barbara Heidenreich. Perhaps if they saw how he could be taught to behave the way that they want they may work with him the right way.

dori

Meeting neighbors
Diet and toys are important for cockatiels and would be easier to change than, say, the cage size. Pellets and vegetables should be part of his diet. Lots of different toy types: paper, cardboard, plastic, soft wood, beads, swings, bells, etc. You could also provide him some natural branch perches, he might not have any. Depending on how long you stay with him, just spending time with him would be beneficial. Reading him a book, playing music, or watching a movie could be fun for him. Or maybe let him out for some fly-time if comfortable and prepared.
i've already made plans to go and let him out & bond with him in my guest room if they allow it !! i'll also look into an appropriate diet and get him some toys :) thank you !!

dori

Meeting neighbors
Would your grandparents be willing to watch videos on training parrots? There are some great DVDs by Barbara Heidenreich. Perhaps if they saw how he could be taught to behave the way that they want they may work with him the right way.
sadly my grandparents are not very fluent in english, but if there's anything similar in polish i might try !! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some computers have translation software or built in. Perhaps this would help them with the language barrier. @Teckechick

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You can add subtitles to YouTube that may help with the language barrier. I know Lara Joseph and Barbra Heidenreich both have helpful things on YouTube.