• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to help friend to rehome an U too

panurg

Meeting neighbors
Hello all.

I decided to help a friend of mine to rehome her umbrella cockatoo. However, I wanted to ask your advice About it.

first of all, I wish I could take him, but I can’t because of the size of my house and absence of time, as well as two GCC who are spoiled and have time out of cage and attention when I’m home, Which is 4-6 hours a day. I wont be able to have this cockatoo around them out of cage at the same time, I will be too scared for my little guys. Also I do not have much experience at all with big birds, and I’m simply scared of him, When he throws his tantrums, which seems to be easy to provoke.

Now, he leaves in a big cage in a small heated and dry basement room. There are no windows there. She loves him, and tries to spend time with him, but she says she only has around an hour a day, and the rest of the time he spends locked in his cage alone in there. Her family doesn’t accept him at all, so she can’t bring him upstairs and have him hanging around while she is doing her house work. he is also injured, one eye had to be sawn shut and his scissor beak was split at the lower part, although it doesn’t seem to slow him much. He does have some plucking issues too. I have been coming to spend some time with him every other day and will keep doing so, but I don’t think that’s enough, and he should be rehomed anyway. She seems more and more inclined to do so too, as his screams get on her nerves, and she understands that he is not in a good situation.

So I wanted to ask, what do you think, am I right to push her into rehoming him?

thank you all in advance for your input.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatoos are very social and smart creatures. If he is alone in a basement, that's not much of a life for him. I always hesitate to say to rehome a cockatoo when the person loves the 'too because there are so many out there already needing homes. But if a better home could be found it would be better for this cockatoo, I think- if she can't make the changes needed to improve his life. My first suggestion would be to try to work with her more to make things better for him if she can. And it's good of you to spend time with him.

@JLcribber ?