• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to find good breeder

Xotic Girl

Moving in
Real Name
Valerie
Does anyone know of a good breeder that they could point me to that is location in Indiana. I can travel as far as 3 1/2 hrs from Fort Wayne Indiana which means Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, etc are all okay. I've just been running into scammers after scammer and I haven't even found any to adopt hence finally asking this question here. ANY help would be amazing!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many of the African Grey breeders are located in Florida. I suggest you do a google search. Shipping would be your option.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Country Birds Aviary she is located in Crandall, IN, her name is Vee. She has a website and facebook page. :)

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would go through Jean Pattison, the African Queen! She's in Florida but is definitely the best. Shipping is not hard but has to be done when it's not to hot or cold. Here is her web site:

African Queen Aviaries

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Does anyone know of a good breeder that they could point me to that is location in Indiana. I can travel as far as 3 1/2 hrs from Fort Wayne Indiana which means Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, etc are all okay. I've just been running into scammers after scammer and I haven't even found any to adopt hence finally asking this question here. ANY help would be amazing!
I am also looking for a new bird. I have been doing a lot of checking of Birdsnow.com & Birdbreeder.com
I don't have experience with anyone on these sites so check them out good before you buy anything. I'm sure there are scams on there too.
But some say they are breeder & have websites you can at least make sure the place is real.
What bird are you looking for?
Good Luck

Xotic Girl

Moving in
Real Name
Valerie
I'm looking for a African Grey younger would be better. I found that birdbreeder really only has old contact information and most emails are completely useless or shut down. I've ran into scams that also include websites not just free ads in fact one of them also placed a ad with google. Definitely super UNCOOL. Watch out for anyone who is posting a ad in one place but their telephone number area code is for a totally different place, are only willing to ship the bird (even though its winter and unsafe), are offering multiple greys of both sexes for around 400-500 each and will give you a discount for a second bird. Or ones who use the same picture in multiple different ads in different locations. The WHOLE thing is quite disheartening

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I'm looking for a African Grey younger would be better. I found that birdbreeder really only has old contact information and most emails are completely useless or shut down. I've ran into scams that also include websites not just free ads in fact one of them also placed a ad with google. Definitely super UNCOOL. Watch out for anyone who is posting a ad in one place but their telephone number area code is for a totally different place, are only willing to ship the bird (even though its winter and unsafe), are offering multiple greys of both sexes for around 400-500 each and will give you a discount for a second bird. Or ones who use the same picture in multiple different ads in different locations. The WHOLE thing is quite disheartening
If I see anything on bird breeder or birds now I usually look to see if they have a facebook page & if it is up to date with posts. Most I have found are breeders & have asked about a few on this site. It is getting harder where I am to get birds. We still have a few old time breeders but no one new. Also prices are very high here. Greys are going for over $1000 easy here. That is why I am looking to get a bird shipped in. I have found a few breeders that have good reviews in TX., OK, & MO.
Look under the breeder list on bird breeders in the states you would be able to go to.
Good Luck
I will keep an eye out if I see anything I will let you know.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If I see anything on bird breeder or birds now I usually look to see if they have a facebook page & if it is up to date with posts. Most I have found are breeders & have asked about a few on this site. It is getting harder where I am to get birds. We still have a few old time breeders but no one new. Also prices are very high here. Greys are going for over $1000 easy here. That is why I am looking to get a bird shipped in. I have found a few breeders that have good reviews in TX., OK, & MO.
Look under the breeder list on bird breeders in the states you would be able to go to.
Good Luck
I will keep an eye out if I see anything I will let you know.
If you can find a baby grey for under $1000 these days, I'd be stunned! We're running out of wild caught breeding stock and the domestically bred breeding stock is harder to get to breed so prices of babies are really going up. Greys are really at a premium these days.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April

I do hope you take the suggested breeders in this thread, hence why we suggested breeders that we have experience with... So you have no issues with scammer type breeders. My Ella came from the breeder I recommended and I know others have done the same without the super high price tag. :)

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I know of one in Virginia but not sure if that's too far for you?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I do hope you take the suggested breeders in this thread, hence why we suggested breeders that we have experience with... So you have no issues with scammer type breeders. My Ella came from the breeder I recommended and I know others have done the same without the super high price tag. :)
She also has a web site! And her prices are really, really reasonable! Tell us about your Ella and how long you've had her!

http://www.countrybirdsaviary.com/

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin

Is there a list of good breeders on here somewhere? I am new & still finding my way around on the different pages.
I would love to find a breeder that was suggested by someone than just taking a change.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I know of one in Virginia but not sure if that's too far for you?
I am also looking for a breeder.
Is it Cindy's parrot place in VA.? I have been looking at that one.
I would like to know more about this place if it is.
Thanks

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
If you can find a baby grey for under $1000 these days, I'd be stunned! We're running out of wild caught breeding stock and the domestically bred breeding stock is harder to get to breed so prices of babies are really going up. Greys are really at a premium these days.
I agree very expensive.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
She also has a web site! And her prices are really, really reasonable! Tell us about your Ella and how long you've had her!

http://www.countrybirdsaviary.com/
She is 5 1/2 months old smart, had her since October. States around 8 words now and so many sounds, the breeder Ms. Vee asked are you sure you want her, she is literally super active and can not stay in one place. Up my alley Ella picks up words and knows if I say no she walks away grumbling. She will not step up at all unless she falls from a curtain... lol Normally, I have to pick her whole body up and then she will twist to my finger and then kiss me it is her way or no way. Hysterical, even though it is her way but doesn't bite or try to nip. I keep her super busy with so many toys. She is 476 grams :shocked3:, eats non stop and the AVN stated she needs the food because she is so active. Ms Liz the AVN wants to adopt her she finds her a character so appealing and just too smart for so young, hence why she is so active. I of course stated nopey can't have her... :embarassed:

Only thing which I have suggested to the breeder is not to pick them up from there body so much when they are babies, when you have one that is use to being picked up that way, could be why I feel she does not step up so readily.

Vee cares about her babies and contacts me alot asking how the baby is, I feed pics all time, she misses all her babies alot.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She is 5 1/2 months old smart, had her since October. States around 8 words now and so many sounds, the breeder Ms. Vee asked are you sure you want her, she is literally super active and can not stay in one place. Up my alley Ella picks up words and knows if I say no she walks away grumbling. She will not step up at all unless she falls from a curtain... lol Normally, I have to pick her whole body up and then she will twist to my finger and then kiss me it is her way or no way. Hysterical, even though it is her way but doesn't bite or try to nip. I keep her super busy with so many toys. She is 476 grams :shocked3:, eats non stop and the AVN stated she needs the food because she is so active. Ms Liz the AVN wants to adopt her she finds her a character so appealing and just too smart for so young, hence why she is so active. I of course stated nopey can't have her... :embarassed:

Only thing which I have suggested to the breeder is not to pick them up from there body so much when they are babies, when you have one that is use to being picked up that way, could be why I feel she does not step up so readily.

Vee cares about her babies and contacts me alot asking how the baby is, I feed pics all time, she misses all her babies alot.
She sounds very, very sweet and super smart! Greys tend to be very smart...you have to get used to having someone living with you that is smarter than you are!:) You gotta love a grey!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I am also looking for a breeder.
Is it Cindy's parrot place in VA.? I have been looking at that one.
I would like to know more about this place if it is.
Thanks
The one I got my Kai from was called Birdie Brains Aviary just outside of Richmond I believe. She has a website by the same name.