• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to decide if a parrotlet is right for me :)

lauraeliza

Sitting on the front steps
Hello all! It's my first post here, but I'm excited to have found the forum and plan to be back - hopefully a lot as I get my next feathered friend!

I am a previous budgie owner - I had a delightfully sweet girl for about 4 years when I was in my late teens until she unfortunately passed from egg binding. I took a break from bird ownership after that and I'm in my early 30's now, and life is finally feeling settled enough that I'm ready to bring a bird back into it (but definitely a male this time, because losing my budgie that way was not something I care to repeat!)

I've always thought I'd get a sun conure when I got a bird again, but I'm still renting and often in small spaces, so I think a smaller bird that doesn't scream would be a better choice. That led me to parrotlets, but as I've been doing research I'm concerned that I may or may not be the most ideal parrotlet owner. I do work about 40 hours a week (out of the house from around 9:30-6 most days), and am usually out of the house at least part of a day on the weekends. My plan is to have the bird out whenever I am home, and I'll have different play stations set up and areas for it to explore with supervision. The plan is also for it to go spend a day a week (caged) with my grandma who lives by herself - the hope is that it will be good company for both parties.

My concerns are if that will be enough time for me to interact with a parrotlet the way it needs, and I'm also a bit concerned with what I've been reading about how they can become territorial/aggressive? I'm not currently married, but that may not always be the case, and I'm concerned about the bird rejecting my partner/any future children that might enter the picture. I want to be the best bird owner I can be, and I want the bird to be a happy member of my family for its whole life. I've been doing so much research that my head is starting to hurt - I've looked into tiels (concerned about the dander and allergies), lovebirds (seem to have some of the same concerns as parrotlets), and linnies (worried about the hand-shyness that can develop as they get older). Can anyone maybe weigh in and provide some insight into if I'm just overthinking this - or if I'd be better off just getting a budgie again since I know what they need and how to care for them? I like the idea of a parrotlet because of the greater potential for speaking, training, and snuggling. While my parakeet learned a few words and phrases in context and gave some kisses, she was not snuggly :laugh: I also found a breeder that hand-raises them not far from me, and as my parakeet was hand raised, I'd definitely like to go that route again, but again... just want to be a good bird owner and not jump into something I later discover I can't handle.

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB

Aves

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello and welcome!

I had a p’lett for almost 10 years and he was an absolute delight to have. i work all day but am in and out as well so never for long alone but locked up till about 4-5 then loose till bedtime around 8-9. Have lots of toys and real good size cage cause they will use every inch of it.

also check out talkparrotlets.com. A site dedicated to p’lett owners. Between here and there you will get great advice to help you along on your new adventure! :heart:

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
:welcome2:
Welcome to the Avenue!

I've looked into tiels (concerned about the dander and allergies), lovebirds (seem to have some of the same concerns as parrotlets), and linnies (worried about the hand-shyness that can develop as they get older).

Have you considered some of the quieter Pyrrhura species of conures? The green cheek conure has become quite popular and is known for being a bit less loud than sun conures. They are also often described as cuddly.
Be aware that cuddles can cause hormonal behaviors in parrots--A simple scritch on the head is usually plenty. Avoid petting areas such as the back and tail (although you probably know all of this information already).
Try to meet some parrotlets in person if you can. Bird rescues generally have them, or you could contact a breeder or someone who owns/has owned them.

Above all things, choose the bird for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Best of luck to you in your search for a feathered friend! :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets are more independent. In my opinion they are probably a better choice for a working schedule like yours than conures would be. You are correct that parrotlets can be territorial, more likely they WILL be territorial. You also have no guarantee that they will ever like your future partner or friends. My parrotlet lives in my home with my partner and he will fly after my partner and attack if he sees him down the hall. This is a very realistic part of having a companion parrotlet. My parrotlet is actually very shy of people he doesn't know, he only attacks people he knows better than aren't me. However parrotlets are small, and they will never be capable of more than little blood drops, which are painful but they aren't GIANT wounds. The problem with parrotlets biting is that humans can push or hit them away out of instinct and kill the little 30g bird. This is why I would never suggest a small bird for a young child. Children have less control of this instinct and can hit a small angry bird.

The wonderful thing with parrotlets is the compact size. They can get noisy and even loud sometimes, but it is nothing compared to many other species. They aren't usually loud most of the day, mine seem to make more voclisations in the morning and right before bed.

If you establish a healthy diet and good foraging from the beginning your parrotlet can be busy most of the day. I also suggest getting a large aviary type cage. My cage is large enough that Neptune can fly from place to place. He also has a plateform midway in the cage. He climbs, flies, runs about and explores. Parrotlets being small means you can give them a giant living space. The more they are busy with living and adventuring the less likely they will develop the complex emotional problems. This is a species that can self mutilate. You must develop a relationship of friendship and try to avoid the relationship of being their mate- at least as much as possible. If you are the 'mate' in their eyes being gone at the office all day will have a very different meaning.

These are general things. Clearly each bird will have their own preferences and triggers :) I hope it helps. If you want to know more about diet or care we can get to that later :) Though expect to make a meal for them every morning of everyday for their entire life. They need their fresh veggies! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@fashionfobie has given excellent insight, I will add that the territorial thing only happens around the cage, so let them come out before trying to touch.
I’m surprised to hear of one attacking people! Mine like everyone. They’re great for when a guest wants to hold a bird.
Definitely a good size cage and rotate in new toys often.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds, especially males, can be very affectionate companions. We have a normal work schedule here as well, but we have other lovebirds for them to squeak with and we leave the TV on for them all the time. It’s true that they’re similar to parrotlets in certain respects, but in my personal experience, they’re a bit less feisty.

My mom’s parrotlet likes to burrow in her hair (this is his cuddling - she is only allowed to give him occasional scritches and he bites a lot, lol). My lovebirds like to cuddle up to my face or ear, and one will go into my shirt and go to sleep. They’re very sweet. They’re also sassy, willful, and opinionated!

The concern about cockatiel fluff/dust is real, especially if you have allergies or asthma. They’re very easy-going and friendly to more people, however, unlike parrotlets and lovebirds! ;) Like others have said, your parrot disliking other people in your life comes with the territory.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

I’m surprised to hear of one attacking people! Mine like everyone. They’re great for when a guest wants to hold a bird.[/QUOTE]

My little guys are pure sass... I have no idea why Neptune became more protective, though he does have a lot of issue with Picard. Picard was the first to hurt him, dislocats his toe and nip.. now Neptune seems to have a vendetta against my partner, who is Picard's best friend. It is a complex house :wacky: though please know we avoid having these conflicts. It isn't a goal nor ambition. I just think it is important for a new parrotlet person to hear about the birds with warts and all.

I don't have guests over very often. They have never attacked a guest. Neptune has flown down the hall and to land on my partner to bite his neck and head.

They are very sweet birds with their chosen person. Neptune is also very close with Pi and they do not have problems. :)

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sorry for stuffing up the quote option.. I tried to fix it.. but I think I made it worse.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
lauraeliza-- welcome to the AA ! ... I'd have to put in a plug for the Lovebird! Love those guys, but you have to commit to at least 15min a day [after they're weaned] of total handling! This will keep them nice for a long time.
Enjoy, whichever direction you go! :xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Parrotlets are adorable. My experience is limited to one that I fostered for awhile. He was super cute and playful He was also very fast and tiny. I know that sounds obvious but I wasn't really expecting him to be as fast as he was and how quickly he could disappear. I don't think I would have been comfortable letting him around children for fear of an accident. Maybe had I had him longer I would have been able to train him better. If anyone has asthma or breathing issues, a tiel isn't a good choice but it's hard to find a type of bird that's more easy going than a tiel. Another thought is have you looked in canary-winged parakeets? Some people find their call to be shrill but the one I fostered was actually pretty quiet, and all he wanted to do was sit on my shoulder and snuggle in my hair. Also, I think the best way to decide on a bird is to try to meet some of the type that you're interested in. Sometimes you just click with a bird.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Welcome!! I have a girl parrotlet, She is 11 months as of now, she is sweet but likes to attack my fiancé for fun due to him being scared of her lol. She isn't territorial around her cage yet, but did claim my laptop so it makes it hard for me to work lol I cover her 12-14 hours and do not give anything that would promote nesting Behavior because Im scared of her trying to lay and egg bind. she is a fisety little feather ball and I love her unconditionally! Training is a must and yes as stated above all is true! I do believe they are 1 person birds, But with treats and early socialization friends can be an option depending if they "friend" shows fear from what Ive seen so far, BUT every birdy is different and has their OWN personality like us humans and they make it very clear how they feel once you recognize there body language.

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I found our parrotlet to be too territorial and nervous (not to mention mouthy), so we ended up finding a wonderful new home for her that was better suited to her personality. The Lovebirds, although louder (by a hair), are much more accepting of the rest of my family and generally more gregarious and adventurous. I find them to be less likely to bite (neither have bitten me ... yet) because they just seem less fearful.

lauraeliza

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you all so much for the insight!!! I really appreciate your help and your time!

Right now I think I'm going to do more research on lovebirds, and I'll also look into the canary winged parakeets - thank you for the suggestions! I do still love the idea of a parrotlet, but I'll explore the other options before making a decision. The flying at people's heads might be a bit much for those in my life who aren't quite as bird loving as I am :laugh:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The flying at people's heads might be a bit much for those in my life who aren't quite as bird loving as I am :laugh:
To be fair it has happened twice in two years. I tell you the worst so there is a realistic understanding. The attachment I share with Neptune is lovely. They are independent and opinionated, though they can also sit on your hand for hours. Neptune regularly sleeps on my keyboard. He is also very social with his friend Pi, also a bird.

Lovebirds are wonderful, I know I have a lovebird crush! Parrotlets offer plenty of great qualities. The territorial aspect is not what defines them. :)

Evidence of the cute!
IMG_20200701_173124.jpg

Last edited:

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I'm also looking into getting a parrotlet. Did you also consider a green-rumped variety? They are supposed to be shyer, less aggressive. Of course, I've not owned one - I'm just learning about them. Please report back on what bird you get!