• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to decide about Opie and Oggie..

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
When I got the budgie boys, their breeder did such a beautiful and subtle glide clip on them that you couldn't even tell without a hard look. I had about 3 days with them before they figured out how to get lift again. It was helpful for our introductions to each other, but I will never let anyone else clip them.
They've lived their whole lives with flight and they are so happy.

But I don't know how to approach this with Opie and Oggie.. they came from the vet/rescue fully clipped, and I feel like this is not new to them. Neither of them tries to fly at all.
I want them to be happy like the budgies, but if they have been clipped most of their lives, is it actually better to keep them that way?

Especially Oggie.. he is a senior bird, I'm not sure if it's good for him to start trying to fly this late in the game?

And with Opie.. it's easy for the budgies to fly in this house they are tiny. But Opie wouldn't quite be able to get the same zooming and swooping freedom just because of his larger size.
Would it frustrate him to only fly short spurts?

I wish they could tell me!

It'll be awhile, but they've each molted a handful of feathers since coming here so I probably need to have a plan in place.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally would not clip them again when their flight feathers finally grow in.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, don’t clip them cuz that way they’ll at least have the option if they ever want to, and don’t force them to fly either
For my consultation I require payment . . .
pjctures of Oggie and Opie:lol:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Flying provides good exercise and I'm sure that once they learn to fly they will think of it as one of the best things ever

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
they came from the vet/rescue fully clipped, and I feel like this is not new to them. Neither of them tries to fly at all.
Oscar came to me clipped and he was only that way for a short while. Jericho was the same. Neither made any effort to fly while clipped.
Maybe when birds are first clipped, they may keep trying until reality sets in, but at some point their failures won't make them eager to keep trying.
I wouldn't correlate a lack of trying with lack of experience or desire.
My guys started flying as soon as the majority of their flight feathers had molted and regrown.

I'm not sure if it's good for him to start trying to fly this late in the game?
As long as he has no contraindications from a health perspective, that aspect isn't a risk.
You'll see their skill -- or lack -- emerge as their flight feathers do.

Opie wouldn't quite be able to get the same zooming and swooping freedom just because of his larger size.
Would it frustrate him to only fly short spurts?
Oscar doesn't exactly zoom and swoop, but given the frequency he chooses to fly 15ft to the back of my chair, or 30ft to steal Marvin's food and water, I'd say he's enjoying the freedom and mobility he does have.
Jericho enjoys flying to my shoulder to investigate what I'm doing, and Marvin enjoys the mobility to fly off my shoulder before Jericho lands on top of her.
None if that is equivalent to outdoor free-flight, but, "don't let perfect be the enemy of good", as they say.

I wish they could tell me!
When their flight feathers regrow, they can, and they will :)

I may be reading too much into things, but the overall trend in your comments hints at a deeper apprehension than what you asked.
Are you worried about something that might be complicated by flight and the freedom/risks that come with it?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A flying can opener?

I had the wings minimally clipped on my amazons. Secret could still flutter gracefully to the ground. MC flew from my arm to the counter once, a few feet away and he looked shocked to be standing there.

Secret hasn't been trimmed for quite a while. She landed on my arm recently .... I was sitting in the floor and she fell from her stand and flapped. Thankfully, she didn't bite.

Sometimes we take life day by day.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Inca is fully flighted, I will never get his flight feathers trimmed. But he doesn't love to fly, he'll fly for a short span and then he'll come back to his perch just to hang out. May be he's an old bird, I don't know his age.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
A flying can opener?
I suspect the same, but that question wasn't asked (and isn't evident without knowing their back-story).

How do people balance the desire to allow flight, with birds that bite and may pose a danger?

That's a specific insight, and the questions that were asked, don't help answer it.

Last edited:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I suspect the same, but that question wasn't asked (and isn't evident without knowing their back-story).

How do people balance the desire to allow flight, with birds that bite and may pose a danger?

That's a specific insight, and the questions that were asked, don't help answer it.
I don't know why I avoided asking that. Hmm.
Yes I am concerned about that with Oggie. I am HOPING that by the time he starts flying we will have worked out the biting thing, but if we haven't I have no idea what to do. :(

Opie, my subconscious fear is that he will use his wings to get as far away from me as possible, but that's not a fair concern :dead:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Opie was clipped--I think nearly his whole life, too. I have allowed the flights to grow. I don't think they are complete yet, but he does have some beautiful, sweeping flight feathers now that cross over his back :dreamyeyes:

He will be 22 in October--so advanced middle aged for his species. He is just starting to flap his wings a bit more now, and I hope it continues for his mental and physical health!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Flying impacts a bird's brain as well as body-- it might create new challenges, but you also might meet a new side of your birds! Especially if they have been accustomed to being clipped for so long. There's a reason contemporary behavior theories emphasize choice as fundamental to healthy companion animals and animal-human relationships. I think adding more agency to your birds' lives will ultimately be healthy for them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would vote flying, but the choice is yours. Flying is so healthy and gives them more control over their lives. If things go badly, you could always clip later.
If you think Oggie bites out of fear, flight may give him more confidence. In the wild their response to threats is usually to take off, without flight, that leaves fight. In the past his warning signs might have been ignored, making him more quick to bite. Listen to them and yourself, you will figure it out.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I think I'm also worried about needing to do *4* different "shifts" for the animals.

Right now we basically have 3 play time shifts for everyone's safety... 1 for the dog, 1 for the budgies, and 1 for Opie/Oggie. I adopted them together because it was evident that they were used to each other and I wanted them to be as comfortable as possible (plus poor old Oggie didn't deserve to be left behind). But I've not let them touch each other just in case.
Their paperwork said they were "next to each other for many years", not necessarily that they enjoyed interacting. Besides Oggie potentially biting us, if they start flying and they get in each other's business and hurt each other that would be awful :(

I mean, I can do 4 shifts, I just hope not to for their sake. Fewer shifts = longer times.

97% I know I probably won't get them clipped unless we have a major issue. Still had to post just to mull it through :D

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can always check how comfy they are together, if Oggie shows any signs of aggression or gets too close to opie u can always do 4 shifts, but most likely since they are fine now they’ll be fine even after they get the wings

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I suddenly noticed yesterday Oggie had developed this 'wonky' feather that seemed to be pointing in a weird direction.. got a bit worried.
Checked and it wasn't loose. Afraid to try to lift his wings but it didn't seem like it had been broken somehow.

.... just realized today I think it's actually just the first flight feather that's come back :ashamed3:

20210806_114624.jpg 20210806_114557.jpg
20210806_114353.jpg
20210806_115718.jpg

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He is a cutie

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Yes! Go Oggie on your new and improved flights!!
@Elysian how is Sir Opie doing?