• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to bond to a 3 month old conure

Rubyconure

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Hello I have a 3 month old conuer it seems to follow my daughter everywhere that she goes . I clean the cage and prepare the food. I would like my conuer to try and bond with me but She does not want to come on hands Without biting. so we have to cover our hands with long sleeve sweaters. I'm not sure how to build a connection with her to bond with her. So I'm confused how to do that.

Attachments

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
Maybe try holding millet sprays or any of her favorite treats out to her. Just try to associate your hands with good things so that she knows they are safe. Don't rush it. Sometimes these things just take a really long time. I'm also still working on building trust with my birds, and it just takes time. I hope this helps!;)

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Does she have a favorite treat? If so, you can try offering it to her, but ONLY you! No one else gives her that treat. That may help to lean a bit more towards you instead of your daughter.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
At least she has someone she trusts so she doesn't feel alone. Just keep working with her :) give her baths, give out lots of treats, and train her tricks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Birds are funny creatures, nothing like dogs or cats who seem to usually favour the person who feeds them and spends the most time with them- birds don’t care who does all the hard work or who they’re supposed to like the most… they like who they like and that’s all there is to it really.

I have a rescue Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, I am the only one who feeds him, gives him fresh water, new chew toys, new perches, cleans his enclosure, let’s him out for out of cage time, I am also the only person who regularly talks, spends time with him and shows him attention… he still prefers my son and my cousin to me and he tries harder and harder every day to bite me- he nearly fell from above my head yesterday trying to hang down to bite me, I saved him from falling and getting hurt again and the thanks I got for that was an even bigger attempt to bite me lol.

You could try being the only person who gives your bird it’s favourite treats, you could try target training and other activities that open up and grow your communication abilities/level, but at the end of the day, they sometimes just choose who they choose as their favourite person for no obvious reason and we have to accept it- that is just the nature of keeping birds as far as I’m concerned.

Rubyconure

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Maybe try holding millet sprays or any of her favorite treats out to her. Just try to associate your hands with good things so that she knows they are safe. Don't rush it. Sometimes these things just take a really long time. I'm also still working on building trust with my birds, and it just takes time. I hope this helps!;)
I don't know I've had her or him 2 weeks I know their is no pickyness on different things. Nutritriberries she likes, and fruit too so I don't know.

Rubyconure

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
She isn't afraid of hands for food. She just doesn't like to be moved from something without bitting some where.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Do you have a perch/stick you can use to move her? That’s how I reach in to get my boy out and move him around since he’s bitey.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Random side step :)

But your little budgie in the background of your photo is adorable! Nice little flock you have there.

:loveshower:

Rubyconure

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
Do you have a perch/stick you can use to move her? That’s how I reach in to get my boy out and move him around since he’s bitey.
She is scared to step on perches outside the cage

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have years to bond, it takes time. Sometimes they do choose a favorite but over time personalities change. I do most of the buying of food and toys, feeding, cleaning but my partner gets the love.

It's frustrating at times but seeing them so happy with their "human", I mean really happy, makes it all worth it.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Work on doing some target training with the bird with the aim of teaching not to bite is a good starting point, the bird just touches the target it gets a treat if it bites the target no treat.
Then move on to step up training if the bird bites put it down on a bird safe area and try again if it steps up with no bite offer a treat.

You have only had your bird for a couple of weeks this is a short period of time. Spend time talking to your bird showing you are no threat.
You need to give it time and allow things to develop.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I agree with the above time and patience is always going to win ..you have yrs to build a bond dont push it :D

Rubyconure

Moving in
Real Name
Carrie
I have one more question about my 4 months old conure. I found out he is male and likes being around me climbing on my head 1st thing in the morning consistently I put him back on his cage so there's no danger in the he's always on my head he likes to pinch my neck and he kind of skin, I pick him up put him down to say no bite. Or i put him on top of his cage or inside and close it for 20 minutes. I give him toys he's just not that interested in them. It's just me so help lol. I know people have said target training and there's videos on YouTube but that's where time consuming. whenever every morning before work i spend time with him before I don't know. What else is missing.

Attachments