• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying out a sleeping cage, a few worries

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Good morning parronts! :)

With hormonal season approaching, I decided to start making Charlie sleep in a smaller cage in a quiet & dark room. Covering his day cage wasn't really a possibility due to lots of noise and fabric being a hormonal trigger for him.

He doesn't seem very happy with the change, he starts roosting in his day cage so I feel bad to move him out lol! I'm hoping he will get used to it?

He has water, pellets and temporarily millet in his sleep cage but he doesn't seem to eat or drink at all until I take him out in the morning. This might be because It's pretty dark even in the morning, so he might sleeps all the way until I wake him? He does have a night light though, and in the morning a teeny tiny bit of sun comes through but the room remains pretty dark. This morning there was a morning poop in his cage but when I took him out he strained to poop a few times but nothing came out, which worries me. Is it normal for them not to eat or drink at all through the night for 12-13 hours if its dark enough? I'm trying to get him to drink and eat right before bed but he won't always be interested, in the morning he gladly will though.

I haven't heard him move at all (his room is next to mine, my door fully open and his very slightly) but I'm still wondering if he gets a good night's sleep. Since he doesnt seem to roost in this cage when I check on him.

I've been considering moving him to my room but I'm worried I'll bother him so ideally this wouldn't be a long term term solution, but I wonder if he will get too used to sleeping with me and won't want to return in the guest room even in the same cage!

I just have a lot of interrogations, lol. It's only been 2 nights, perhaps it takes them longer to get used to this? This is the first time I use a sleeping cage for one of my birds. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :heart2:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
He's acting totally normal during the day so I assume he's sleeping well despite the change, I hope? Also he's having normal poops today so I think the straining this morning was just because he hadn't eaten yet and already did his morning poop in the cage. Still weird he tried to poop anyways tho, lol. Never occurred to me that birds could not drink or eat at all during 12-13 hours of sleep until now :lol:.... if thats normal? Still a worrywart...

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bump!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It may take him a few days to adjust to a new cage. Maybe let him spend a little time in it during the day for him to get more used to it? I don't think my tiels eat or drink at night either....

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
It may take him a few days to adjust to a new cage. Maybe let him spend a little time in it during the day for him to get more used to it? I don't think my tiels eat or drink at night either....
Thank you Michelle!

He usually isn't happy to spend time in this small cage unless we're outdoors lol. So I've been doing that with him even if I can't take him outdoors very long due to having work to do :) I think he is starting to adjust a bit, still fusses a bit when its time to go in but way less than the first time! And as soon as lights are off he quiets down.

I got worried yesterday because he didn't do his morning poop in front of me but he actually did, I just didn't see it!! Almost stepped in it when I went back to clean his sleep cage! :lol: So I'm probably worrying for nothing haha :) He did some awesome poops this morning, yay! :cheer:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I think I also need to stop checking on him so often, must bother him! :facepalm: He doesn't sleep in the same positions in there (less fluffed on his perch, sometimes but rarely hanging vertically on his cage bars) than he used to in his day cage (more fluffed on his perch), which I found weird, but after doing some research they seem to also be normal sleeping positions, especially when in a new environment but some birds also just prefer it like that :) I installed another perch he can access better from his normal cage bar hanging spot, and I'll start giving him a break haha!

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiel does not eat or drink at all during the night. And sometimes he does that poop dance squat motion right away first thing when I wake him, but does not always have a bowel movement. I think it’s perfectly normal. It’s almost as if they’re old men and just going through their morning routine. As long as yours is eating and drinking normally throughout the day and poos look good, I wouldn’t worry.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
My tiel does not eat or drink at all during the night. And sometimes he does that poop dance squat motion right away first thing when I wake him, but does not always have a bowel movement. I think it’s perfectly normal. It’s almost as if they’re old men and just going through their morning routine. As long as yours is eating and drinking normally throughout the day and poos look good, I wouldn’t worry.
Thank you Sparkles!! This reassures me a bunch haha :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
A little update for you all!
Just went to the vet for Charlie's checkup and he's all healthy, yay! But the icing on the cake is that we finally got his leg band removed!! Freedom! :loveshower:
He had a bit of redness on his leg beneath it, good riddance! It makes me so happy to see it gone, kind of like when his wing feathers finally grew back from the breeder's clip :) Another step towards a happier and safer bird!

However, while I was worrying about Charlie's nightly food & water intake, newbie me didn't realize I introduced him to the sleep cage and spare bedroom way too fast... D'oh! :facepalm: Poor baby! :( Gonna restart from square one and follow the advice Destiny gave me on this other thread I posted :) Wish me luck! He should be way happier with way a slower introduction :heart:

This special occasion warrants a picture!

IMG_8356.jpg IMG_8360.jpg

Edit: He is now napping all snuggled up in the crook of my neck :swoon:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
A little update for you all!
Just went to the vet for Charlie's checkup and he's all healthy, yay! But the icing on the cake is that we finally got his leg band removed!! Freedom! :loveshower:
He had a bit of redness on his leg beneath it, good riddance! It makes me so happy to see it gone, kind of like when his wing feathers finally grew back from the breeder's clip :) Another step towards a happier and safer bird!

However, while I was worrying about Charlie's nightly food & water intake, newbie me didn't realize I introduced him to the sleep cage and spare bedroom way too fast... D'oh! :facepalm: Poor baby! :( Gonna restart from square one and follow the advice Destiny gave me on this other thread I posted :) Wish me luck! He should be way happier with way a slower introduction :heart:

This special occasion warrants a picture!

View attachment 379397 View attachment 379398

Edit: He is now napping all snuggled up in the crook of my neck :swoon:
@Tiel Feathers Ring is off!! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay! You’re being a wonderful, conscientious parront, and I have no doubt Charlie is going to be a very happy, content bird in your care!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Yay! You’re being a wonderful, conscientious parront, and I have no doubt Charlie is going to be a very happy, content bird in your care!
Thank you so much Deanna, this means a lot! I often worry that what I'm doing is not good enough :( But I guess always having that thought at the back of my head is part of being a caring parront and pushes me to keep improving my baby's care! :heart: