• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Trying one last time

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Mods please change title to trying one last time thank you
20191207_113237-1.jpg
Sprouting, this the stack system.
20191207_113216.jpg
Pumpkin seeds, spelt and millet tray 1

20191207_113511.jpg
Tray 2 millet and spelt
I soaked everything for about 18hours, rinsed clear water 3 times, rinsed again with ACV water and stacked. Will rinse again tonight, clear water 3 times and ACV and again the morning.
This has never worked before finger crossed it works this time.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice! I hope it turns out good :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have the same sprouter!!!! And have used it successfully.

However, I've actually decided I prefer the jar method and purchased SS lids on Amazon. Already have a *LOT* of mason jars. (small version, standard version and quart sized). I've been using the quart sized ones.

Let us know how it goes! :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm just sick of wasting seeds having them mold, not sprout or hust smell horrible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have the same sprouter and use it all the time too.
I found that soaking my seeds for about 12 hrs and then making sure I fully water and rinse the sprouts at least three to four times a day makes it work best for me.
I hope you can get yours to work for you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ve changed my system a little bit due to mold.

Switched from ACV to GSE for soaking. No idea if that made a diff.
So I rinse (a lot), put in container with GSE and soak for 15 min. Rinse again then begin the sprouting process. And the other change: when I rinse I use a lot more water than before. Like 3 rinses in one. Then at the end I do another GSSE soak and rinse like crazy. Then feed or refrigerate.

I hope they work for you.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@rocky'smom Thinking about your process. Are you only rinsing (with your triple rinse) twice a day? You might do it more, maybe 4 times.
Every time I've tried this, I've rinsed 3 times as many as 4times a day. Twice a day with ACV (1tsp) to 1cup water cold as I can get it from the tap. They've always smelled bad, developed mold or not sprouted at all. The sprouter is washed sanitized before every time I've tried .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I tried doing the ACV pre soak and also frequent ACV rinses while growing them but I honestly believe that is why I was having so much trouble with my sprouts.

I had never had issues before I grew them for Burt.....I followed everyones directions of daily soaks or rinses in ACV before sprouting and while sprouting and I do believe that was making it a difficult environment for the sprouts to thrive.
I now only use water and then soak them in ACV for five to ten minutes before rinsing well and feeding to the birds. I do not use ACV while actually growing them though and I am back to having perfectly healthy stink free fast growing sprouts.

Maybe do an experiment with them and see if less ACV or more watering more often works. I also find the humidity and temperature in the house means I have to adjust how often and how much water I give them.
I have also found if I soak the smaller seeds/grains for longer than 2 hours I do not have as much success.....the mung beans, lentils and chick peas I soak for about 12 hours but the smaller sprouts I will not soak for longer than 2.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm kind of lazy.... I don't even rinse the seeds prior to soaking... and I'll soak overnight (8-9 hours min) or upwards of 24 hours... hasn't made a difference as they'll still sprout, but mostly the larger seeds.

No ACV, GSE or anything added to the water.

Rinse, preferably, 3 times a day, but some days I've forgotten and have done less than that. I don't even rinse usually until the water runs clear... I just rinse a few times, drain and call it good until I rinse again.

If I do forget to rinse frequently, the seeds tend to get stuck to the glass which usually requires soaking them, again, although for a short period of time... say 10-30 minutes? Then they usually come "unglued". (re: flax seed...)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok they are hopefully done. The pumpkin seeds sprouted pretty well. Spelt so so and millet not so much, if at all.
20191209_081012.jpg
20191209_081019-1.jpg
Now if he will eat them¿¿¿¿ He can be very stubborn

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck. Try drying them in paper towel first to get rid of most of the wetness.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I've never tried sprouting! My daughter Katie eats very healthy (runs marathons). If yours turn out well Laurie, I may have to give it a try too. You're all look wonderful!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Well it was waste he will not eat sprouts any way shape or form. They are great for messing up the cage but not for eating