• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Trying one last time

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just curious, but what all sprouts have you tried so far with him?

And have you tried just soaking the seeds overnight?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm kind of lazy.... I don't even rinse the seeds prior to soaking... and I'll soak overnight (8-9 hours min) or upwards of 24 hours... hasn't made a difference as they'll still sprout, but mostly the larger seeds.

No ACV, GSE or anything added to the water.

Rinse, preferably, 3 times a day, but some days I've forgotten and have done less than that. I don't even rinse usually until the water runs clear... I just rinse a few times, drain and call it good until I rinse again.

If I do forget to rinse frequently, the seeds tend to get stuck to the glass which usually requires soaking them, again, although for a short period of time... say 10-30 minutes? Then they usually come "unglued". (re: flax seed...)
Curious, are you in a dry area? We have really high humidity, I HAVE to rinse more. Thinking t his might be the difference.

@EkkieLu you need to try sprouting! It makes the seeds/nuts healthier, like a little powerhouse of nutrition.

@rocky'smom The sprouts are an unknown right now. Hide them in other food, grind in food processor with chop, or just keep serving daily until he gets it. :)

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
Have you tried Best Bird Food Ever. They will all sprout.

Roger

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you tried Best Bird Food Ever. They will all sprout.

Roger
Thanks, I had never heard of them. Bookmarking now - altho I'm happy with China Prairie and True Leaf Market. :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Curious, are you in a dry area? We have really high humidity, I HAVE to rinse more. Thinking t his might be the difference.

@EkkieLu you need to try sprouting! It makes the seeds/nuts healthier, like a little powerhouse of nutrition.

@rocky'smom The sprouts are an unknown right now. Hide them in other food, grind in food processor with chop, or just keep serving daily until he gets it. :)
good idea! Thanks!!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
For those that struggle with sprouting due to being in a high humidity area.... I had a thought.

What about a continuous drip system? I've seen a breeder do this with *large* amounts of sprouts. (tubs of it!)

A "simple" method would be to have something like a fountain setup.... a cheap little water pump that can move water up and over a container. Use some tubing with holes in it to spread the water out where it falls (or get fancier and get some "spray" nobs that you can shove into the tubing to create a fine spray). Have a container with holes in the bottom (or a tray of sorts with an SS mesh bottom - some colanders might work?) that would be below the tubing where the water comes out so that the water can drain and go back to the pump. --- Since this is a "closed loop" system, you would want to refresh the water probably 1-3 times a day or at least add some vinegar, citric acid, oregano oil or something to the water to try and keep it fresh longer.

A somewhat more complicated version would be to tap into your water supply (i.e. kitchen or laundry room) and run a hose (like one would use for a swamp cooler *OR* an RO system - if you're familiar with aquariums, a hose similar to what one would use for an air pump) from where you need it to your sprout setup, then having a drain hose back to your waste water (again, sink or laundry room). In this way, the water would always be fresh!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
For those that struggle with sprouting due to being in a high humidity area.... I had a thought.

What about a continuous drip system? I've seen a breeder do this with *large* amounts of sprouts. (tubs of it!)

A "simple" method would be to have something like a fountain setup.... a cheap little water pump that can move water up and over a container. Use some tubing with holes in it to spread the water out where it falls (or get fancier and get some "spray" nobs that you can shove into the tubing to create a fine spray). Have a container with holes in the bottom (or a tray of sorts with an SS mesh bottom - some colanders might work?) that would be below the tubing where the water comes out so that the water can drain and go back to the pump. --- Since this is a "closed loop" system, you would want to refresh the water probably 1-3 times a day or at least add some vinegar, citric acid, oregano oil or something to the water to try and keep it fresh longer.

A somewhat more complicated version would be to tap into your water supply (i.e. kitchen or laundry room) and run a hose (like one would use for a swamp cooler *OR* an RO system - if you're familiar with aquariums, a hose similar to what one would use for an air pump) from where you need it to your sprout setup, then having a drain hose back to your waste water (again, sink or laundry room). In this way, the water would always be fresh!
That will be worth a try -- probably in spring/summer.

I have some seedlings (in soil) started right now. Some have mold growing already. Darn it! I knew better than to do anything more than spritz them with water, but there are 6 10X20" trays and my hand got tired. LOL

Anyway, I sprayed them with the anti fungal stuff.... water, a drop of Dawn, and something....can't remember that important other thing. Also sprinkled cinnamon over the soil which will usually help. Guess I will clip the green parts off for the birds if the mold dies back. I'd planned to set the pans one at a time in the bird room but now the leaves will have to be rinsed off.