• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trust with my budgies

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Hello, I have had three budgies for over half a year now. I have not been aware of how to handle them, and I have been forcing them into my hand (I thought it was okay to hold them, I did not ever put pressure on their chests). I kissed them with dry lips and put them back after a few seconds.

I am horribly ashamed of my behavior, and I feel just the worst. I will never ever force companionship with them ever again, I loathe myself for scaring them. I was not aware of how I was traumatizing them. I have no idea how, in my research, I failed to come across handling details.

I am trying my best to gain their trust. Is that even possible it this point? I love them with all my heart, and I would like to have a trusting, mutually beneficial relationship with them.

I would like to know how to deal with this, as all three are very afraid and run when I put my hand in their cage. i cannot take them out like I should due to their instinct to run from me. I feel absolutely Ashamed and horrible, and would do anything to heal the wounds I have created.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Of course it's still possible to gain trust! The important thing is realizing the mistake and moving forward!

How are they around you? Are they very skittish or do they still come near you? Do they take treats from your hand? How do they get out of cage time? Are they removed from their cage or do you just open it and allow them to come out on their own? What's your routine like with them as in how do you normally spend time with them? For instance I spend time with my bird by just opening the cage and going about my business. She hangs out with me on her big perch or on my laptop. Sometimes we play music and dance around. I take breaks from what I'm doing, get her perch stick, and go get bird friendly snacks from the kitchen to share.

Would love more info!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Of course it's still possible to gain trust! The important thing is realizing the mistake and moving forward!

How are they around you? Are they very skittish or do they still come near you? Do they take treats from your hand? How do they get out of cage time? Are they removed from their cage or do you just open it and allow them to come out on their own? What's your routine like with them as in how do you normally spend time with them? For instance I spend time with my bird by just opening the cage and going about my business. She hangs out with me on her big perch or on my laptop. Sometimes we play music and dance around. I take breaks from what I'm doing, get her perch stick, and go get bird friendly snacks from the kitchen to share.

Would love more info!
Thanks for replying! I’m glad it’s not hopeless.

they are very skittish. I first got the two (Azul and Buttercup!), then about two months after I got Pastel. Pastel will sit on my finger, but hops off quickly and gets upset if I put my finger in front of him more than twice. Butter and Azul will not step up, only run away.

Their out-of cage time is very bad. They tend to hurt themselves when I take them out (flying, and if their wings are trimmed- they are 99% of the time- they will run from me and, in azul’s case, run into boxes) and will do anything to get back into their cage. It’s really upsetting to watch because I know they need time to explore and nourish their brains And body. Azul is quite a clumsy and shy bird. he‘s hurt his wings multiple times, and it’s clear I need to calm him down before attempting to give him outside of cage time again.

Normally, they are in the living room where there is a lot of traffic. I have only understood my handling mistake recently, and I am now sitting with them on my bed with the cage door open. They cannot be in my room for long, since the humidity and temperature is quite unstable overnight.

they are quite picky with food (Buttercup throws all the pellets out the bowl) but I continue to give them pellets, veggies, and fruits.

Pastel will eat from a millet branch from my hand as well as Azul. (as long as I am very still around Azul) Buttercup, however, will not come near me. She is quite a bully with the other birds as well (nothing serious, she’s just very hoggy about food and dominance)

I hope these answer some questions of yours, thank you so much for the help you are giving me!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max

Would love more info!
Might I add, if I sit next to them, after a few minutes they resume their normal activities. They do not remain petrified, thank gosh!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
That's a really good sign!

Is the room where they're free to fly bird-proofed? I think it's wise that you let them out in a different room as the busyness of the living room could have been adding to their skittishness/panic.

How do you let them out? I think sitting by the cage with the door open is a good start so they can come out whenever they feel comfortable :) just going about your daily routine around them will help them get used to your presence as well.

For now, it's best to keep your hands away from them as that's what sets them off. You mentioned that they calm down after a while. Perhaps you can have some millet on you and when they're calm around you, you can try offering the millet. If they're still wary of you, you can always place it near them so they don't have to approach you to reach it.

I wonder if Buttercup will learn from the other two!

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
That's a really good sign!

Is the room where they're free to fly bird-proofed? I think it's wise that you let them out in a different room as the busyness of the living room could have been adding to their skittishness/panic.

How do you let them out? I think sitting by the cage with the door open is a good start so they can come out whenever they feel comfortable :) just going about your daily routine around them will help them get used to your presence as well.

For now, it's best to keep your hands away from them as that's what sets them off. You mentioned that they calm down after a while. Perhaps you can have some millet on you and when they're calm around you, you can try offering the millet. If they're still wary of you, you can always place it near them so they don't have to approach you to reach it.

I wonder if Buttercup will learn from the other two!
We are at a cabin for the holidays right now (That’s why I have so much time to post, haha!) and that’s why they’re on my bed (they are being kept in this room). When we return, I’m going to try and bird-proof a room!

I will definitely try your advice (in fact, I have the cage door open right now in case they want to explore). The only problem is that they find their cage a place of safety, and as long as my hand isn’t near them, they feel very comfortable. I will continue keeping the door open in a safe room, but it will take a while! thanks for that advice :D

the millet tactic is working so far, and I’m sure Buttercup will come down from her high horse and follow along eventually. If they are not comfortable, I continue holding the millet, just move the stick in my hand so they can access it while being further away from me (I hope that makes sense!)

once again, thank you for the advice and comment! By the way, that bird drawing looks a lot like Butter! Very cute ☺

clarousel

We are at a cabin for the holidays right now (That’s why I have so much time to post, haha!) and that’s why they’re on my bed (they are being kept in this room). When we return, I’m going to try and bird-proof a room!

I will definitely try your advice (in fact, I have the cage door open right now in case they want to explore). The only problem is that they find their cage a place of safety, and as long as my hand isn’t near them, they feel very comfortable. I will continue keeping the door open in a safe room, but it will take a while! thanks for that advice :D

the millet tactic is working so far, and I’m sure Buttercup will come down from her high horse and follow along eventually. If they are not comfortable, I continue holding the millet, just move the stick in my hand so they can access it while being further away from me (I hope that makes sense!)

once again, thank you for the advice and comment! By the way, that bird drawing looks a lot like Butter! Very cute ☺
Yes the cage should be a safe place! I recently had to grab my budgie out for medicating and she showed some agression the next few days but she's gone back to her normal self now. So with time, I'm sure it's possible!

The millet on the end of the stick is a great way too! It sounds like you're on the right path.

Ooo! Is Buttercup completely yellow? Preeno has some green here and there :)

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Yes the cage should be a safe place! I recently had to grab my budgie out for medicating and she showed some agression the next few days but she's gone back to her normal self now. So with time, I'm sure it's possible!

The millet on the end of the stick is a great way too! It sounds like you're on the right path.

Ooo! Is Buttercup completely yellow? Preeno has some green here and there :)
I’m not sure what it’s called, but she is a yellow albino as I call it! She has dark red eyes (Possibly black, but I Can’t look close enough without her moving!) and is completely yellow (no cheek spots or anything!) she is quite a pretty bird!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Put a perch on the outside of cage door. It helps

clarousel

I’m not sure what it’s called, but she is a yellow albino as I call it! She has dark red eyes (Possibly black, but I Can’t look close enough without her moving!) and is completely yellow (no cheek spots or anything!) she is quite a pretty bird!
Ah yes I know what you're talking about! Pretty :)