• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trust from my cockatiel

Juney

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
June Lanovaz
I'm new to the avian world and loving it except my Koko is a female 1 year old white faced cockatiel and she has lived with me for 2 months now and she hates me! I know I need to be more patient. She doesn't like step up plan and she hates going back into her cage. Do u see where I'm going with this? She wants out of her cage and despises going back into it with my assistance. She flies all over and I have a hard time catching her to put her back into her cage. I have to use my hands to catch her and bring her to her cage with alot of squirreling! Please help I feel so helpless for her! I don't want to hurt her and she has shown some aggressiveness the poor thing. Right now she is screaming for me to let her out of her cage but I've tried treats, hand feeding to cohers back to her cage. Please anyone, help! I love her so much! She is a great companion for me as I live alone with no other pets and she fills in the loneliness! God Bless to all my avian friends.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to you and Jojo!

she has lived with me for 2 months now and she hates me! I know I need to be more patient
She doesn't hate you! And tiels are not the types to hold grudges. You need to take a breath, and take a step back. I have had mine for a year almost, they aren't hand tame but I can usually get them to do what I need them to do, with a bit of thinking on my part.

She wants out of her cage and despises going back into it with my assistance.
She doesn't want to go back into the cage because she associates it (and you) with a negative experience. Try associating the cage with good things. Like talking to her while she's inside the cage, giving her millet through the bars and fun toys.

I have to use my hands to catch her and bring her to her cage with alot of squirreling
You really should stop grabbing her. She now has made the connection that going back into the cage = being captured. If absolutely necessary, capture with a towel, not your hands. Even then, that is only in an emergency.

I've tried treats, hand feeding to cohers back to her cage.
When she is out and you want to tempt her back in, place millet or change round her food bowls (so she thinks you have given her more food) and either calmly sit in a corner or leave the room. When she goes back in, drop a treat in her bowl and sit by the cage and talk for a bit.

Sure, it takes a long time. That's why in the beginning I didn't let them out unless I had several hours to spare. Try it on a day you have nothing on, and let her go back on her own. Then praise her for that.

If I need mine back in I just play around with their food bowls and leave the room. I usually sit nearby so I can hear them going back in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really do not think birds have the human emotion of hate like humans can. If I were you I would go back to step one as if she is a new bird in your life. Establish trust and comfort with you bird. I know birds are very intuitive to a humans emotions and feelings and you post does not sound like trust building and comfort are taking place. Examine your expectation of having a bird in your life and write them down on paper. Positive reinforcement is very important when dealing with birds. They do not understand human negatives such as being forced back in the cage. Have you tried training this bird to step up on to a perch to go back in cage? What kind of enrichment have you provided for this bird? Have you taking the bird to an avian vet for a wellness exam? There are many things you can do to save the relationship, if you want to.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! It's hard when a bird doesn't want to go back in her cage but you definitely need to work out a system that doesn't involve grabbing her. Does she like millet spray? With my first tiel, I used that as a cage only treat. It made going back in the cage easier. Also, often "cage" is associated with a person going away. Do you spend time with her when she's in her cage? That has helped a lot with my current bird. I always sit with him for awhile everyday with him in his cage so he doesn't think just because he's going in his cage means I'm going away. Maybe also add a perch to the outside of her cage or a play gym to the top? Something that would make her return to her cage to play? And then she'd be easier to get in the cage maybe since she's at the cage?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You have received some really good advice already. I don’t have much additional advice to give except having some sort of a loose routine will help your bird know when to expect out time/cage time, and make sure you don’t feed your bird when she is out so she will go back when she is hungry, especially if you reward her with millet. You need to stop forcing her back to her cage because you are teaching her to fear your hands. You have to only use positive reinforcement and never force her to do anything. Target training would be a really good idea too, and it would also help build your relationship. How big is her cage?Her cage should have a lot of toys, foraging opportunities, and have plenty of room.