• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trust Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylifornia

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cylifornia
My cockatiel, Odysseus, is 8 months old, though I've only had her for 4 months. I'd like to train her but firstI want her to be able to trust me, so how can I work on our trust?

When I open her cage, she scoots on her perch toward the door but when I stick my hand in, she scoots away against the wall of her cage and will hiss at me. If I get my hand in front of her though she will step up. She doesn't eat out of my hand, she doesn't like me touching her back or to give her head scratches. I just want her to be able to have a stable connection with me. what can I do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Trust has to be "earned" by showing respect for what the bird chooses and not "forcing" anything. Sticking your hand into her "territory" without letting her "choose" to come out by herself is the opposite of building trust. Then once out you need to "ask" her to step up and if she chooses not to you must respect that.

There has to be something (reward) in it for the bird such as a treat, praise whatever so the bird "wants" to do what you would like them to do.

---->Parrot Trust Account

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
it takes time and lots of patience and love. Your bird will get to realise you mean it no harm and will slowly build up a bond and trust you.
they have their moods and there will be times they will not want to participate but you have to respect this and move at their pace not yours.
Patience is the key and gentleness and love. By talking and even singing to your bird quietly calms them down and gets them used to you.
Never look directly into their eyes with no blinking as this can be taken as a sign you are about to attack! It unnerves the bird before you start. Look away and not directly at them as this breaks this suspicion very quickly. Good luck.

Cylifornia

Real Name
Cylifornia
Trust has to be "earned" by showing respect for what the bird chooses and not "forcing" anything. Sticking your hand into her "territory" without letting her "choose" to come out by herself is the opposite of building trust. Then once out you need to "ask" her to step up and if she chooses not to you must respect that.

There has to be something (reward) in it for the bird such as a treat, praise whatever so the bird "wants" to do what you would like them to do.

---->Parrot Trust Account
So I'm basicaly ruining whatever trust she has with me. oh. that gives a new perspective...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree, sticking your hand in is not good....open the cage door and let her come out on her own..we pushed ours up to our couch and our rescue tiel started coming out all on her own...She still does not like to step up..some tiels just do not like to step up..period...though I do find food and treats is a good bribe..also PLEASE do not touch your female tiel on the back...ever..this stimulates hormonal behavior..and believe me, you dont want that, especially in one so young..scritching is fine..but avoid her back area.

Cylifornia

Real Name
Cylifornia
Thank you guys for this important input, and thanks for being positive and not angry with my mistakes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.