• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble with step up training with Jenday

SpinySpino

Sitting on the front steps
As stated in the title, my jenday, Mojo, who I got about a month ago, has a bit of a complicated relationship with hands. He'll let me use my hands pet his head, he can eat or take stuff from them and doesn't have any reaction when they're put near him. The problem comes when I was trying to train him to step up. If he lands on a hand or if you make any gesture to try get him to step up on a hand, he'll go into a panic and start biting until you stop or he is put down. He was handled quite roughly in the past before I received him so I'm thinking that the hand aversion may have come from that. If possible, I would appreciate any tips to manage this or ways to ease him into the idea of stepping up. Thanks in advance!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
yes so far we've been training step up on rope perch and its going pretty well there at least
That’s good! From there you can just sort of baby step it to hands. You’ll get there, it just takes a lot of work and patience :D

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
you can set your hand flat on cage top or a surface. Put a treat on the other side of your hand snd get him steps on hand and over it to get treats. Do bazillion times.
Then after many times over many days. You can turn your hand sideways dtill against a fkst surface and see if he will step on it as he steps over to get treats also do so many times till it becomes Nothing to him . Then transition to holding treat snd just have him step go hand but leave hand still. After thst has been done many times yiu csn start to raise hand a little while he is on it and keep going from there.
Shaping and breaking down to little steps can hsve big pay off ! Don't rush but be fluid and adjust to his confidence.

I also took on a true hand phobic burd . She was also traumatized by tge words step up!!! Csyses her to scream snd freak out if those words were said. So I changed it to come here instead if step up

SpinySpino

Sitting on the front steps
you can set your hand flat on cage top or a surface. Put a treat on the other side of your hand snd get him steps on hand and over it to get treats. Do bazillion times.
Then after many times over many days. You can turn your hand sideways dtill against a fkst surface and see if he will step on it as he steps over to get treats also do so many times till it becomes Nothing to him . Then transition to holding treat snd just have him step go hand but leave hand still. After thst has been done many times yiu csn start to raise hand a little while he is on it and keep going from there.
Shaping and breaking down to little steps can hsve big pay off ! Don't rush but be fluid and adjust to his confidence.

I also took on a true hand phobic burd . She was also traumatized by tge words step up!!! Csyses her to scream snd freak out if those words were said. So I changed it to come here instead if step up
Just wanted to update to say that its working! he only puts one foot on top of my hand but that counts as huge progress honestly; Thank you!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Just wanted to update to say that its working! he only puts one foot on top of my hand but that counts as huge progress honestly; Thank you!
:yah:
Woot! Keep at it@
Took me six month to rehabilitate my hand phobic quaker.