• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble Taming Flighty Budgie

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
I've been trying to tame my budgie for a while now, but I am struggling. She gets spooked whenever I pass the cage, and nothing I do helps that. I've tried putting bits of millet into her food bowl when I pass, but I don't know if she eats them. She is comfortable with me until my hands do anything remotely related to her cage. She will eat millet I put through the bars once I walk away, but is not comfortable with me at all. I've never had to tame a bird completely from scratch, as the other ones I've had have been at least a bit comfortable with hands.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
If she is getting scared when you pass by her cage, then you should always walk slowly whenever you pass her cage. Also, when she starts relaxing a bit, start sitting around and reading aloud (not loudly) and doing normal things. Remember to not do it if she is panicking. If she gets better with you (stops panicking) then you can start training her to come to your hand. :)
Here is how I trained my budgies, but there are other methods as well :D
The way I trained my untamed budgies was giving them treats by hand to get them used to it. Afterwards I used a perch to get them to step up while keeping my hand at the base. Slowly I moved my hand upwards and after about a month when it came to the top of the perch I removed the perch and they started stepping up to my hand:)
For other methods just search Training Budgies in the search box :goodluck:

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
If she is getting scared when you pass by her cage, then you should always walk slowly whenever you pass her cage. Also, when she starts relaxing a bit, start sitting around and reading aloud (not loudly) and doing normal things. Remember to not do it if she is panicking. If she gets better with you (stops panicking) then you can start training her to come to your hand. :)
Here is how I trained my budgies, but there are other methods as well :D

For other methods just search Training Budgies in the search box :goodluck:
I agree :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Where is her cage situated? If she spooks when you pass the cage can you put her somewhere you don't have to walk past so close? A corner is good. How large is her cage?
I'm not making any effort to tame any of my budgies but I have been accepted into the flock. I can stand in amongst them and talk to them. They give me budgie chatter, I get the occasional preen, and although they are still shy of hands one of my girls regularly lands on my hand for a millet treat. This has taken a while though.
I assume she's a solo girl? Do you get to spend loads of time with her? Sit a little away from her cage and talk, whistle, sing or read a book to her.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Patience and time. My 4 yo male budgies will come when I call....as long as millet is involved. They will buzz the back of my head when I'm making their dinner, lol! But still, if I have to reach into their cage to clean or rearrange perches and toys, they will move away from me and my hands. They may always do that, but I'm not going to ever force the issue with them.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Patience and time. My 4 yo male budgies will come when I call....as long as millet is involved. They will buzz the back of my head when I'm making their dinner, lol! But still, if I have to reach into their cage to clean or rearrange perches and toys, they will move away from me and my hands. They may always do that, but I'm not going to ever force the issue with them.
I love the part that...I am not going to ever force the issue with them. Budgie freedom and choices that they make!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
She is a sole budgie? Then what everyone else has said. Patience. Sit by her cage but do not show your hands. Talk gently to her. Do this every day. When she will allow you to press your face next to the cage and not try to get far away from you then you need to slowly bring your hand (or arm) to your face. When this doesn't spook her you can move on to perhaps offering her millet through the open door. Don't be aggressive though. Let her come to you. Budgies all have unique personalities and some are much more adventurous than others. I have had some that seem to be more curious about me and their curiosity has won out. They tame easy. Others are naturally spooked by humans. These are the ones that take our time and patience to win over. Sometimes just having them listen to you and maybe, maybe inch a wee bit closer to you speaks volumes. These small victories are always so much more satisfying. Slow and easy..it does pay off..

PtsOliver

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
Update to all of you who helped, she recently passed but not before I was able to tame her at least somewhat. Getting two more parakeets helped her last months be really nice. I suspect she died of old age paired with that she's from Petco and I'd just fallen in love with her there and needed to get her even though I knew pet store birds are bad.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Sorry to hear she has flown. Good to hear she had some budgie company in her last time with you.

For anyone else taming birds, having a tame one show the others the ropes really helps. As they take cues from each other, seeing another bird step up or eat from your hand really encourages them to consider it and boosts their confidence.

Hands-off training, like in-cage target training helps with rapport. Millet and treats get you everywhere. Up the value of treats by only offering it at training session. Clicker training is a good option for birds who accept the clicker noise without being startled by it.

Patience, perseverance and routine are key. Reward any small movements or steps in the right direction.
Spend as much time in your birds presence and company as you can, and talk soothingly and quietly as others have mentioned. Keep focused training sessions short ~ 5 to 15mins 2-3 times a day works well for me.

I am an animal trainer, and birds are particularly difficult initially compared to other animals. Once they start to understand the goals and shared language of training, it becomes incredibly rewarding and easier.