• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tropican Pellets

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
So, I bought cockatiel sized Tropican Pellets for the first time yesterday since the store was out of Roudybush in the right size. I got just a small bag and figured either they'll like it or they won't, whatever. But when I opened it this morning, it smells like bubblegum! It smells just like the fluorescent blue bubblegum toothpaste Ellen uses. Why does it smell like that if it has no artificial colors, etc?

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
They use banana and orange oil...

Fruity Scent and Pellet Colour?
The fruity aroma is derived from natural fruit oils (banana and orange oil) and is sprayed on to the morsels, along with herbal antioxidants and tocopherals (Vitamin E) right before packaging. Unlike artificial flavors, the natural fruity aroma will dissipate in a reasonable amount of time after opening.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ask a question and you shall receive an answer. This board is awesome.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just so you know, it doesn´t really taste of bubblegum... or much for that matter. Just feels powdery with a slightly fruity aftertaste :eating:

I hope your boys like it :)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks, guys! I was really taken by surprise! We've been on a spree of trying new pellets recently in an attempt to get Chipper on something a little better and get Bismo to eat them at all. So far, Roudybush seems to be the favorite for Bismo and Chipper, but that may change after these bubblegum pellets!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks, guys! I was really taken by surprise! We've been on a spree of trying new pellets recently in an attempt to get Chipper on something a little better and get Bismo to eat them at all. So far, Roudybush seems to be the favorite for Bismo and Chipper, but that may change after these bubblegum pellets!
Let me know please if he likes them. Elvis seems to be on a pellet strike- and he's always been really good about eating them. So I was thinking maybe he's just bored with his regular brand and was actually thinking about trying the Tropican.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My birds are a little put off by the Tropicans, and I figured it might be because of the really strong smell.

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
My three new rescue Sennies came from the rescue eating Tropican Lifetime with a little Tropimix on top. They eat every pellet in their dishes! And this is after 30+ years of neglect, eating straight sunflower!

Silas was on Roudybush Maintenance his whole 7 years, and I really like their food, but as seniors I don’t plan to change things up for my old men. I’m just happy they’re eating pellets at all!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@TikkiTembo when I had Sweet Pea (RIP)and add Bebe to my flock, I tried tropimix to their daily food. Sweet Pea tried but it wasn't her favorite thing. I called Hagen for advise. I talked to a 'REAL' avian nutritionist. Her recommendation was to moist it. 1 oz of tropimix and a tablespoon of warm water. Let it sit for couple of minutes, then feed. Amazing they both ate it, wolfed down. I use tropimix in birdy bento boxes as the bottom layer with veggies like ground up carrots, finely chopped broccoli on top and freeze it. Thaw it add a tablespoon warm water and ready to go. Might be worth a shot with Tootie and Bismo.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Let me know please if he likes them. Elvis seems to be on a pellet strike- and he's always been really good about eating them. So I was thinking maybe he's just bored with his regular brand and was actually thinking about trying the Tropican.
Chipper officially loves them and prefers them over the Higgins Intune

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They pick at them///which is not bad...Higgins Intune is good tooo. I add it to there diet its a good price..

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I loved the Tropican pellets, or the smell anyway, so I was disappointed that only Harley liked them. I never thought to moisten them! Even though I've soaked nearly every other pellets. :facepalm: I may have to give them another try. :yes3:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I loved the Tropican pellets, or the smell anyway, so I was disappointed that only Harley liked them. I never thought to moisten them! Even though I've soaked nearly every other pellets. :facepalm: I may have to give them another try. :yes3:
I mix all the different pellet for Penny & moisten them with Cherry juice in the AM...I think she still just picks at them but I try!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I mix all the different pellet for Penny & moisten them with Cherry juice in the AM...I think she still just picks at them but I try!
Oooh, cherry juice sounds decadent! Buzzard would probably eat vegetables if I put cherry juice on them! :laugh:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mine like veggies but those pellets!!!! Not a favorite...

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I've never soaked pellets, maybe I'll try tomorrow! All of them are eating them now. I'm a happy camper! I don't mind those or Roudybush, but Chipper definitely has a preference. I'll probably keep both on hand and give everyone a mix. I don't think I'll buy the Higgins again, but I've got the bag I bought plus some samples they sent me that Chipper will have to deal with for a while. Lol Maybe I'll make birdie bread with it.