• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

triton cockatoo, need help

gcameron

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Grace Cameron
I have a bird, Wacko, she's a 32 year old Triton cockatoo. We have had her for 17 years. We have had to have her fostered a couple of times (as briefly as possible) due to instability in living situation. Now we are having to move again and have nowhere to go, as you may know trying to be in an apartment with a Triton is a challenge. They can often be heard from blocks away. Staying in a motel with one is also a nightmare. I made a commitment to her nearly two decades ago to be her forever home but I am terrified that we will not have a home and looking for ideas, sanctuary, fostering, anyone renting a home in the area we are going that doesn't mind birds. ;)

We have struggled as a family on a few occasions and ultimately I feel that I have let Wacko down because I have always wanted to do more for her but ultimately haven't had the stability to manage. She spends far too much time not getting the attention she deserves. We got her from MARS (Midwest Adoption Rescue Society) in Minneapolis. They had her for about a year after the four previous owners had bounced her around and finally dropped her there. She is afraid of most men, sticks, and cannot stand babies; has clearly had some abuse and can be difficult to manage.

We are moving from western Washington to Eagle River / Crandon Wisconsin area. Please, any ideas are welcome. (except for breeders)

Thank you

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
There is rescue that does fostering here in Minnesota that might able help . it called the The Parrot Umbrella. Here's their web site:
If you adopted her thru MAARS you might want to talk to them also.

Joebird67

Real Name
Joebird67
I have a bird, Wacko, she's a 32 year old Triton cockatoo. We have had her for 17 years. We have had to have her fostered a couple of times (as briefly as possible) due to instability in living situation. Now we are having to move again and have nowhere to go, as you may know trying to be in an apartment with a Triton is a challenge. They can often be heard from blocks away. Staying in a motel with one is also a nightmare. I made a commitment to her nearly two decades ago to be her forever home but I am terrified that we will not have a home and looking for ideas, sanctuary, fostering, anyone renting a home in the area we are going that doesn't mind birds. ;)

We have struggled as a family on a few occasions and ultimately I feel that I have let Wacko down because I have always wanted to do more for her but ultimately haven't had the stability to manage. She spends far too much time not getting the attention she deserves. We got her from MARS (Midwest Adoption Rescue Society) in Minneapolis. They had her for about a year after the four previous owners had bounced her around and finally dropped her there. She is afraid of most men, sticks, and cannot stand babies; has clearly had some abuse and can be difficult to manage.

We are moving from western Washington to Eagle River / Crandon Wisconsin area. Please, any ideas are welcome. (except for breeders)

Thank you
Hi, i would be willing to give this kids a home. Please email me and lets talk see what can happen.
Joe
Email : sjoeshields@yahoo.com

Joebird67

Real Name
Joebird67

Thank you
Hi, i just sent you a reply. My name is joe & I live in Portland,Oregon.
Email me. I would like to help. Email me and we can talk more about Wacko

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
@gcameron please be careful replying to messages offering to take your bird.
Not to say Joebird67 isn't legit, but when posters come to a board and their only posts are 'I'll take your bird', that raises red flags with me.
Perhaps members here may know this poster and can vouch for him?
Do due diligence in checking out anyone contacting you.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Agreed do your due diligent

Joebird67

Real Name
Joebird67
Agreed do your due diligent
That would be why I left my email. If you want to know about me, send me an email. Before you give advice about me, because you don't know me, send me an email and ask about me. That simple.
Good luck and maybe you will find away to keep you friend with you.