• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trick Training Ideas Needed

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow Thats such a great game! I feel like Luna has learned our nighttime routine where he'll climb back to his roosting perch at around the same time every night after snacks and the lowering of lights. I feel like the curtain would be a great addition to that, to let him know its time for bed :goodnight2:

I am always a fan of the color id game! Did you also teach that by naming the colors over and over?

I think he knew a few colors & yes, over & over. He's a bird that really understands good, bad, yes & no. That makes training much easier.

Yes, on the curtain... Its a before bed item, not always immediately to bed, but most of the time. I don't train in the morning like is recommended. We tried but he was usually to excited to have the sheets or towels off the cage to be w/ us. It turned into sometimes in the afternoon, but a little something happens dinner time or immediately following. He's a much more focused fid!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sorry for late reply.
Here are the video of the beautiful tunnel. :p

JT, I really enjoyed that video. :) You and Eloy did so well together!!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I love his happy little squeaky noises!:heart:

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
These are awesome stories. Thank you everybody for sharing.

I used a clicker for our TAG. He loved it and picked up the simple stuff very quickly (touch, touch over here, perch, etc). He could fly to me on command and would sometimes fly back to his cage (we never put that one on a word/cue). He knew how to go inside his cage at night and would go station on his bowl when we were eating so he could get his share.

My biggest accomplishment was teaching him to climb into his Celltei backpack/fannypack and not freak out while it was zipped closed. He had to learn to get inside a narrow space and then allow this big scary flap to come down and be zipped around him. He and I were both so pleased with ourselves when we mastered that.

Other things that are probably good and/or fun to teach -
Handling their body (feet/wings) to facilitate training and/or medical situations
Going into a carrier for travel
Comfort in a towel
'Give me a kiss' or as we used - 'Can I have a kiss?'
Turn around

I recently asked a similar question so I'll be following your thread. :)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@M&M Ninja Wonderful! Im working on the cues for flying to a certain point, too :) I feel like its such a fantastic way to spend quality time with my birds but I think they just know its when they get treats ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
JT, I really enjoyed that video. :) You and Eloy did so well together!!
Thank you! ♥♥♥ I still can't watch that video. To many memory's.
I love his happy little squeaky noises!:heart:
LOL! That is not Eloy. That is Akela. She is inside the cage that is covered with a black blanket.
She loves sunflower kernels so it was impossible to make a video if Eloy when she was out too. (but I normally always train them together)
She is saying that she also wants out, and how could we forget about her. And you can see that Eloy is very distress and don't know what to focus on.
Wow!!! Well done you two!!! :)
Thank you! ♥♥♥ I love trick training, and also think it's important to them. :)
They need, like us, have something to do, that both make them use their head and muscles.
Amazing! :faint: Was that Eloy? You two were absolutely awesome :heart: Thank you for sharing that video!
Yes it was Eloy. Thank you! ♥♥♥
He did 28 tricks. I think that is good for a Pionus that they say is perch potatoes. :D
Eliy and Akela is also awesome but refuse to train on the table when I record them.
But they do accept shorter recordings when they are on the cage.

This one is funny. I ask Eliy brat if I can have that?
I love that they have their own will, so if they don't want to train we play instead. :)

This is the first video I have of Akela doing some easier tricks.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Eloy I felt like I was also learning Swedish with your birds watching those videos :laugh:
I'm so sorry for that! :D Some thing I teach them in Swedish and some in English.
I understand that my Swedish makes you laugh, but that's fine with me. I like to entertain people. :p :D