• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tree perch help

Tielboy5

Moving in
Real Name
nir flatau
Hey all! First time poster, long time reader here! So I wanted to build a “tree perch” for my little tiel (chip) and I got a branch big enough (olive, not yet disinfected but will be before I give him) and a bucket as a base. I need something to fill the bucket, to keep it sturdy. I wanted to use garden soil but I’ve read it’s very bad. So my plan is to put half of the bucket with soil, and ther rest with disinfected random stones and rocks and then a daily piece of news paper. Will the rocks be toxic? If so, do you have any other free alternatives? I’ve spent so much on toys lately I can’t afford more now. (I obv have enough for the basics like food, but not for more extras)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Welcome!!

I'm not sure that soil and stones would be could enough. I would set it in concrete, then cover the concrete with a layer of stone to make it look prettier!

Hope this helps!

Tielboy5

Moving in
Real Name
nir flatau
Welcome!!

I'm not sure that soil and stones would be could enough. I would set it in concrete, then cover the concrete with a layer of stone to make it look prettier!

Hope this helps!
hi and thanks for responding so quickly. I don’t have access to concrete, but I’m sure the soil will do. It’s not sand, it’s proper soil and I’m sure if I compress it enough it will be fine. What I meant in the question, is if it would be toxic or life threatening. Obviously the soil can be bad but will the stones be bad? Thanks.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
hi and thanks for responding so quickly. I don’t have access to concrete, but I’m sure the soil will do. It’s not sand, it’s proper soil and I’m sure if I compress it enough it will be fine. What I meant in the question, is if it would be toxic or life threatening. Obviously the soil can be bad but will the stones be bad? Thanks.
I doubt the stones will do any harm. Just make sure there is enough to cover all of the soil.:)

Tielboy5

Moving in
Real Name
nir flatau
I doubt the stones will do any harm. Just make sure there is enough to cover all of the soil.:)
Thanks, I will probobly put a layer or two of newspaper in between just to be sure. He shouldn’t even go there, it’s more of a just in case.

Reactions: Ali