• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats for training

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Hey everyone! I was wondering what treats you guys use for parrotlet training. I currently have saff seeds she love but I’m wondering what would be easier for her to take when I train her. Also what would be small enough too. I want to teach target and fetch and then eventually basketball and rings on a stick. Thank you in advanced !

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Tiny apple cubes, spray millet and dried fruit all work fine! You can also try other nuts like almonds and cashew in small pieces. My bird's favourite treat is her old pellets. They are a bid deal next to grapes and bananas.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I follow a YouTuber/Instagrammer that uses chia seeds as a reward during clicker training. My parrotlet can't do any tricks but he loves millet. :laugh:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Tiny apple cubes, spray millet and dried fruit all work fine! You can also try other nuts like almonds and cashew in small pieces. My bird's favourite treat is her old pellets. They are a bid deal next to grapes and bananas.
Im going to try that! I didn't know they can have grapes. I thought that was a Nono like for dogs.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Im going to try that! I didn't know they can have grapes. I thought that was a Nono like for dogs.
Heya, grapes and seeds are safe for parrots as long as you feed in moderation just as every treat and it is because of its high sugar content. You can cut them into little cubes if you don't mind the mess.

:buzzbee:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used bits of flaked almonds. You can get these in the bakery section of a supermarket. They're easy to break up into bite-sized pieces.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Just make sure it's only almonds, not salted or spiced or anything. Check your ingredients!