• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treating bird bite ?

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
I recently got my tiel a friend... said friend is in quarantine but they can still hear and see eachother if I leave the door open.

Due to this my tiel who is somewhat friendly has become stressed that he can't reach the other bird.

Minutes ago as I was changing his water and food bowls I received a bite !

It was a really hard bite that managed to pierce my skin and made me bleed a bit as I jerked back my hand. I have never been bitten by a bird before, and wondered if I should get any treatment as you would with a dog bite... I've had my tiel for about a year now and I'm sure he's not sick or has any diseases !?

I'm sorry if this is too long, I'm just freaked out my tiel reacted like this :/

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds are amazing...No teeth & a beak that grows...Never had a problem with infection from a bird bite. There oral cavity area imho is something to be in awe of. Lots less areas for bacteria to grow. No gums or teeth.

Wash it like any cut & apply some hydrogen peroxide or whatever healing ointment you have around.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I get a few skin tears (some that bleed real good) most days (we play way too rough at least once a day lol) and to be honest I do not even bother washing them anymore. If your bird is generally kept clean and healthy then the chances of anything other than a slight scab forming from this sort of incident is pretty slim. If you are concerned then give it a wash like any other little scratch you may get that bothers you.

Last edited:

Chris82

Strolling the yard
How bad is a cockatiel bite? I'm fortunate that Frankie has never bitten me very hard. I did get one bite when i forgot to use a towel to put her in her carry case but she was just a baby so i had two little holes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Soap, water and band aid. :) I don't even want to count the number of times I have been bitten.... LOL. It hurts but you should be fine.