• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treat cup for a bird perched on a rope?

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I've noticed that Mustrum is most open to interactions with me when he's perched in the middle of his big (1.5", it's big for him) rope.

By open to interactions I mean that's the place where he doesn't necessarily move away if I get a stick or my hand close to him.

He's not ready to eat millet if I hold a spray up to him and the rope is over my head height so I couldn't hold it up very long anyway. But, I would like to give him a treat when he's particularly brave about me moving something into his space. It turns out that balancing a freeze-dried corn kernel in the plies of the rope means it will stay there right up to the point that he tries to go get it. And then, of course, it becomes an offering to the floor gods. Which, yay, gravity still works, but means Mustrum never gets the reinforcement that he got a treat for letting me get my hand near him. And having him watch me while I put the treat somewhere else doesn't do any good because he's not food motivated enough to make a special trip just to get a corn kernel.

So, is there either a shallow treat cup I could clip on the rope, or is there another way I could secure a small treat?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Foraging toy he can drag up to him?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
cut one piece of a cardboard egg carton off for one egg and tie to the rope with some paper string so it hangs just bellow the rope

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Foraging toy he can drag up to him?
Laughing because I actually have some foraging toys that I haven't unpacked yet. I should see which one I could put on or near his rope.
cut one piece of a cardboard egg carton off for one egg and tie to the rope with some paper string so it hangs just bellow the rope
Paper rope! Of course. I'd been trying to figure out how I could hang the treat but all I could think of was putting it on some thread, which definitely would have been a bad idea.