• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

travelling with a budgie

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
In about 10 days I'll be picking up a young budgie and driving with him and friend for about 6 hours to my home. I'm looking for hints and suggestions to make the trip comfortable and safe for him. We'll be driving from AZ through the California desert to my home near LA so weather won't be a worry (hopefully, it won't rain!).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump8:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Have you got a travel cage for him with the right bar spacing? I'd also take a towel to partly cover the cage. Don't know if he would eat fruit, but that is a source of moisture. Otherwise when you stop off, I'd add a water bowl for him to drink from. Water will spill everywhere if you leave it in whilst driving. If you put a toy inside the cage, tie it to the side where it can't move much rather than from the top where it could knock him off his perch. A rope perch might be easier for a young budgie to grip? Hopefully more suggestions will come rolling in... :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a good travel cage with the correct bar spacing. He does eat fresh food, not sure about fruit. What's a good fruit that won't get gross - orange sections, do budgies eat citrus? We'll stop about every 2 hours to stretch a few minutes. If I put water in his dish at the breaks, do you think he'll take drink and not be too scared? I do have a rope perch that I can put in his cage.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Leafy greens...If its not really hot it will be ok. A towel to cover the cage partially to keep them feeling secure & not to see traffic or get too much sun...Cover 2 sides & top...will make them feel safe..They might nap...

Congrats!!!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
When I traveled with Lucy I'd put her just in front of the seat in the back seat on the floorboard because I think the lower they are the more stable the cage will be. (hopefully). My Lucy loved to travel, and it's a darn shame I didn't take her more places, it was later in her life that I discovered her love for travel. Before I moved in 2002 and was house hunting we were gone for at least a week that time. She even got to go to the beach in her cage (covered mostly cuz of the breeze) but she had a gap in the front she could look out of and she was mimicking the little sandpipers running back and forth on the beach! She was running back and forth on her perch when I peeped in! Gosh I miss Lucy! Have a safe trip @Mybluebird and have fun. I would think he would be fine for 6 hours as long as he gets water after you stop. If you had to risk opening the cage for the water breaks, I'd rather not do that I mean.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Great! Thanks - good suggestions. I'm making a list of what I need to do/take with me so the trip will be good for him. Everything will be set up ready for him when we arrive home.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best not to put hanging toys in the cage for safety reasons. Take a few bottles of water just in case.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He does eat fresh food, not sure about fruit. What's a good fruit that won't get gross - orange sections, do budgies eat citrus?
Any bird-safe vegetable or fruit with a high water content would help. My choice would be cucumber, peppers or melon. You will probably need to change them at least once.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks, will stop at the grocery store before I pick him up. I'll check and find out if he's been eating those veggies.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Floor behind front seat is good if it fits. I would put a seatbelt around the cage to keep it in place...You do what you have to...Put a towel under so it does not rip the seat.. etc

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Ah, good idea about the towel under the seat. I'll have to play some of this by ear - see what the set up is like. My friend has a large passenger truck. Of course, he will be in the cabin with us during the ride.

Dorcas George

We are all excitedly awaiting Blue’s arrival! I forget what you are naming him...?

Dorcas George

From what @Beasley has shared about how sweet and calm he is, it’s going to be interesting to see if it helps Tweetie feel more chill too.

Dorcas George

And I live in WI now, but I was born in LA and grew up in Southern California. We had family in Phoenix so I know that long stretch of desert. Will be thinking of you!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thank you @Dorcas George At least this time of year the weather should be milder going through the desert and being a Sunday at least the truck traffic should be down.