• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travelling Internationally with a Lovebird

sala

Meeting neighbors
Hello! :) Has anyone traveled with a lovebird before?
Someone told me when I go through the security checkpoint in the airport, I have to take the bird out of the cage for inspections but I'm worried to do that because I can't trust her not to fly :unsure:
She perches on my hand but not always, she's very stubborn even if I'm offering treats. Should I trim her wings before I travel?

318063112_3468016433443760_7703107832430905833_n.jpg 317789029_1348588762548980_7880747180624033888_n.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have to take the bird out of the cage for inspections but I'm worried to do that because I can't trust her not to fly :unsure:
If you are confident in toweling, I would towel her and keep a nice hold on her until she can go back in the carrier.
You can try calling the airport to ask if they have inspection rooms, they might have those as obviously they do not want folks pets roaming the airport either.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Hello! :) Has anyone traveled with a lovebird before?
Someone told me when I go through the security checkpoint in the airport, I have to take the bird out of the cage for inspections but I'm worried to do that because I can't trust her not to fly :unsure:
She perches on my hand but not always, she's very stubborn even if I'm offering treats. Should I trim her wings before I travel?

View attachment 418631 View attachment 418632
When going through airport security, I was made to take my conure out of his carrier and restrain him as I extended each of his wings so that security could check under them.

You should be prepared to restrain and handle your bird.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When going through airport security, I was made to take my conure out of his carrier and restrain him as I extended each of his wings so that security could check under them.

Wow that's crazy! I don't think @webchirp had to do that with Tobias and when I walked in the airport with him no one even batted an eye.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Wow that's crazy! I don't think @webchirp had to do that with Tobias and when I walked in the airport with him no one even batted an eye.
This was actually a domestic flight — not even international. I had no idea they would ask me to do that.

I’m not sure that they have a standard protocol that they enforce equally at all airports, so just be prepared for anything I guess. I don’t know what I would have done had my docile conure been an angry large macaw. :wacky:

Edit: I forgot to add that they also made me walk through their body scanner holding my conure to my chest.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was actually a domestic flight — not even international. I had no idea they would ask me to do that.

I’m not sure that they have a standard protocol that they enforce equally at all airports, so just be prepared for anything I guess. I don’t know what I would have done had my docile conure been an angry large macaw. :wacky:

Edit: I forgot to add that they also made me walk through their body scanner holding my conure to my chest.
Wow they really went hardcore with yall.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Where are you traveling and have you confirmed that bringing a bird to that destination won't be a problem, and understand the process?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I had to take him out of the carrier while they xrayed it when going through security.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to take him out of the carrier while they xrayed it when going through security.
Ooh I had no idea. How was he for that?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
With Rhaenyra we went into a secure room and they didnt make me take her out they just inspected the carrier for explosives and drugs :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ooh I had no idea. How was he for that?
He was very good although I was terrified. I had to do that with the other little girl I picked up too. I didn't know her at all and I just prayed she wouldn't eat me.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was very good although I was terrified. I had to do that with the other little girl I picked up too. I didn't know her at all and I just prayed she wouldn't eat me.
I'm so glad he was a good boy for that,I don't blame you for being worried.

sala

Meeting neighbors
If you are confident in toweling, I would towel her and keep a nice hold on her until she can go back in the carrier.
You can try calling the airport to ask if they have inspection rooms, they might have those as obviously they do not want folks pets roaming the airport either.
Thank you Zara, toweling is a good idea i didn't think about, but it sounds scary hehe.

sala

Meeting neighbors

omg what?! this is a weird protocol o_O
Thanks for sharing your experience!

sala

Meeting neighbors
Where are you traveling and have you confirmed that bringing a bird to that destination won't be a problem, and understand the process?
I already checked with both my country and my destination, and I'm glad that it's allowed to travel with a pet. I just need a permit.
I'm trying to read and learn everything about traveling internationally with birds before my flight date.