• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travelling away from cockatiel...

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Hey, I have to go travelling this year and wont be able to bring my bird because he will be in its travel cage 24/7. I will have a house sitter staying over but wont interact with him, im worried if i have him out of his cage in my room he will get up to mischief and eat something that could make him sick. I could have him in his cage all weekend but thats a bit cruel (I think). Do you think its ok to have my bird in its cage for 2-3 days straight or should i tell the sitter to let him out for a few hours each afternoon?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the sitter is not a bird person (meaning has kept them before not just likes them) I would not want them taking my bird out.

He will be fine left in his cage for a short time frame such as the weekend and it is safer than being free in a room unattended and alone, if a problem occurs getting him re-caged I worry about how the inexperienced person would deal with it.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Tteok had to hang in his cage for a weekend over the summer while I moved my daughter into her dorms - my bf likes birds, but at that point it was not enough to deal with any of them on his own :rolleyes:

His water was changed daily, but otherwise he really didn’t get much other interaction. He was perfectly fine. He was miffed with me for most of the day I was back, pretty much giving me the silent treatment, but he got over it pretty quickly.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
As long as he gets fresh water daily, and a lot of love and millet when you get home, he’ll be alright.