• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with a parrot

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Hi Parronts,
I'm wondering what the pros and cons are on traveling with your parrot, in a few weeks time I am traveling. From where I am it's a 3ish hour drive to there? Paris is the only parrot that's coming with me, my brother doesn't want to look after Paris becuase of all the time consuming and hard moments where you have to clean up the poop, feed her the way she likes it and taking her out nearly everyday,:wacky:so he's coming over to my house over the week to change Firdy and Lola's food and water. Do you think Paris could catch anything? Will this be too much stress for her? (She's not an easily stressed out Bird) What will I have to bring? And do you think I should bring her on this trip? I have a lot of questions, lol. I just want to be sure that everything goes OK on this trip.
Thanks in advance,:)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don't know but hope you get some good tips. The essentials plus
Lots of paper towels for the poo, emergency bird kit in case of accident?

Have a fun safe trip

LRous

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lori
My lorikeet Has traveled with me on a few occasions she loves the car and she comes to work with me regularly. I take her for little drives when her hormones are getting a bit crazy, the change throws her off. I put her in the back seat and the seat belt goes around her cage she has one natural perch and a towel covers half her cage so if she feels the need to hide she can. I don't have any bowls of food and water in her travel cage but I do have a small frozen water bottle that I put on the bottom of her cage and she just licks the condensation off. I give her some wet mix when we stop. I have a really outgoing bird though so I dont really worry about her stressing.
Its all on the individual as to how well they travel.
It would be a good idea to make a list of avian vets along your route just in case.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Travel cage is recommended with the ability to cover if she gets freaked out but going by the way my lories travel they LOVE it.
I have had them out before in the car, I DO NOT recommend it due to safety factors, I now travel with them in a carrier regardless.
Ensure you can stop and have nectar and water for her. I usually put bottlebrush or grevillea in the cage but they're normally too busy having a whistling and squealing competition to eat!

They're pretty robust parrots our lorikeets I am sure Paris will love it!

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks everyone for your replies, tomorrow we are leaving.:laugh:Do you think I should walk Paris around my street in her travel cage so she can get used to what it's like to travel? I'm thinking I should so then when it's time it won't be a weird thing just coming up for her. And I would also like to know what else are important things to bring for Paris, I know the basics but what else?
Later on I'm going to be driving to the shops and I'm thinking to pick up some of the stuff I need for the fids.:) Thanks in advance again,

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you take some short test trips around the block to observe her reaction and get her used to the car and new sounds.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I take Bella to NY to visit every year and we drive 7 hours. If Paris is not used to the car, I would get her in her travel cage and drive her around. For the trip, bring extra food and water. Also take whatever she is comfortable with in her cage. Bella has 2 sets of toys she likes to have in her cage plus my little tiel has a big cage, a hotel cage, and 2 travel cages (she isn't spoiled, is she?). I lay towels around her cage. If Bella gets frightened, I cover her. Also I got an EZ pass so I wouldn't have to open the door for tolls. It really isn't a big deal traveling with a bird. The other thing when you get there is to locate an emergency vet. There are two near my family's house. If you make it fun, Paris will love to travel.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
No, Bella isnt spoiled at all,:D but she's lucky to have a very fun mum.:xflove: I see that you said you drive 7 hours, and Bella doesn't mind? You should see me, I can't even survive 2hrs:hehe:jk,
Suggest you take some short test trips around the block to observe her reaction and get her used to the car and new sounds.
Dianne, exactly what I was thinking, taking Paris around and getting her used to the noises and experience might get her self calmer when we go.:)
Have a good trip FNN, I hope Paris enjoys the trip with you I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. :)
And thank you MP for the well wishes.;)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You will be surprised in that lories are pretty robust at this kind of thing and you will both enjoy the travel.

For me, I ensure I have a couple of lorikeet delight bars for treats, plenty of nectar that is dry and can be made up into wet. Spare water of course. :)
Ensure you pick plenty of foliage and spot places on the way to pick. Do a tour of where you are staying so you know where to get the fresh stuff.
When you do your first shop get extra fresh veggies and fruit for the little monster and you will be right. :)

Take some familiar perches and toys so that Paris isn't completely in a new environment. :)

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Sapphire likes to have lots of chew toys and foot toys in her travel cage on long trips, if she gets bored she eats seat belts or any car upholstery she can reach... I usually load up the travel cages with foraging toys attached to the cage walls and the birds have an extra challenge of trying to solve them in motion if they feel that way inclined.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks Jam, love your tips! Always so helpful;) Sure will bring treats,toys and objects that she's used to on travel. Thanks once again.:)
Sapphire likes to have lots of chew toys and foot toys in her travel cage on long trips, if she gets bored she eats seat belts or any car upholstery she can reach... I usually load up the travel cages with foraging toys attached to the cage walls and the birds have an extra challenge of trying to solve them in motion if they feel that way inclined.
Thanks Claire, where can I get foragers? Since I live in Sydney most things that members have here aren't avilable in Sydney.:( Thank you for your input,:)

Reactions: JAM

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Make sure any toys in cage won't swing, don't want her harmed.

My only worry would be the place I was staying.....Make sure no brand new carpet installed or something like that.

I think our birds are far more resilient than we give them credit for (we are just the worry warts).

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Eden, We get most of our stuff on line. Kirsty's Natural Bird toys on facebook is the cheapest we have found. She also has a youtube channel on foraging with helpful ideas on making toys more challenging. We also shop at the parrot society shop, and order online from the parrot rescue centre and my parrot shop.

Clueless, we hired a cabin for a couple days recently and when I called enquire about whether they were happy with our 2 small parrots staying there the owner actually laughed and said "well, how much damage can two small parrots do, a couple feathers here and there maybe...." I took it as a rhetorical question so I just laughed along and made a list in my head. ... it was quite a long list!

Last edited:

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks everyone for your kind replies and info!:hug8:i don't think i will be seeing you for a week, (oh gosh what am I gonna do!) I'm going to miss AA and thanks to everyone, Ill try to be in contact,:)
Stay safe everyone,:hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Safe travel Eden.