• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel

NannaB

Checking out the neighborhood
Hubby and I want to do a working trip around Australia. We will be living in a 17 foot pop top caravan. Has anyone travelled with a lorikeet. We couldn't bear to leave her behind as we will be away for up to 2 years. (Covid permitting lol). She is so used to having her freedom in the house that it concerns me she may not cope with being confined. Has anyone used a harness? Been thinking about trying her out on one. I would appreciate any feedback. She is our baby❤

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With that small of a camper, you will definitely need to train your bird on a harness - two years confined to the trailer would be torture. If you have a small enough cage you can take his cage in and out, but that's not the same as being free on a harness.

NannaB

Checking out the neighborhood
With that small of a camper, you will definitely need to train your bird on a harness - two years confined to the trailer would be torture. If you have a small enough cage you can take his cage in and out, but that's not the same as being free on a harness.
Thanks for your input. At home she has 3 different cages. One really large cage which is inside, one medium flight cage for if we are outside and a travel cage. Most of the time she is free inside and is usually on our shoulder or her player and. I am definitely keen to try her on a harness. I think it is going to be my only option.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
If I had a safe place to train TD on a harness I would love that. TD doesn't get near the out of cage time he deserves. Having him out means the dogs have to be out and first you have to bird proof the RV. Takes about an hour. Then, after out of cage time, you have to put it all back. And George has to be outside with the dogs while TD is "flying". George is almost 70 and takes a water pill...if you get my drift. We do make sure he gets outside time in his big cage as much as is humanly possible...but that's not the same as being "free". It's all he's ever known, though. Your bird would probably be miserable after having had such freedom. A harness sounds like your best bet. Let me know how it goes throughout your harness training. I'd sure like to try it.