• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel.... Coming home from time away

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Hey,

So this last week I've been aboard on holiday, and left my 2 IRNs in the care of my mum, who they know and love and get on well with, apart from me not being there and it being mum to let them out everything for them has remained the same.

Yet when I've come home today, it's like I've come home to 2 very different birds, not as happy to fly to me, come for treats, responding to calls etc it's like everything they've learnt has flown out the window (pun not intended but it works). Is this normal for birds to do? Like will they go back to normal with time or have i unknowingly effected the bond we have? like they have never acted this way towards me (grated I haven't been away from them as long before)

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
It is your first day back and like cats they tend to give the "cold shoulder" when you first get home. Give them some time, extra treats and they will likely return to their happy selves. Walter used to either give me the cold shoulder for a few days or become a velcro bird depending on his mood. It is a transition and if this hasn't happened very often they might just need a day to adjust back to how it was.

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Ah brilliant thank you so much and yeah it's rare that I'm away for a week at a time, but it's nice to know things will return to normal soon, I think I was more worried as I've never seen this reaction before (granted never been away for so long before). Hopefully your Walter doesn't give you too much of a cold shoulder when you have to go away

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I get off and on cold shoulders with the bulk of my flock depending on if I do much as forgot to greet them in the morning, forgot a favorite treat, or even skipped a jingle. It can take a couple weeks for them to stop being angry or in the case of a particular lovebird a good two years.