• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel Cage

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! Can a travel cage be too big? I purchased a 20-Inch long, 12-inch wide, 16-inch high travel cage to bring my cockatiel home. The drive will be around 2 hours. Could that be too large?

mak

Rollerblading along the road
It's only too large if it's too bulky for you. Your tiel won't mind at all. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The biggest issue with being too large is that in the event of an accident, your bird can be thrown farther in a large cage. The farther they can be thrown, the more chances for injury.

mak

The biggest issue with being too large is that in the event of an accident, your bird can be thrown farther in a large cage. The farther they can be thrown, the more chances for injury.
Hmmm.....Never thought of that. Good point!

Reactions: Ali

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hi everyone! Can a travel cage be too big? I purchased a 20-Inch long, 12-inch wide, 16-inch high travel cage to bring my cockatiel home. The drive will be around 2 hours. Could that be too large?
Sounds like my travel cage. Is it one of those collapsable ones by Prevue? I really like mine.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
If you are staying overnight/vacation, it might be the perfect size. Louise has a transport cage (pretty small but not too small) and a visiting cage (a portable cage that works for overnight.) She can perch on it, large enough for toys but in no way a long term cage, and it is sometimes her sleep cage in my room. You may find in the long term you want a smaller cage for vet visits and the larger cage will have other uses. The bird will appreciate space. Congrats on the new bird! Please post pictures when she/he is home.

rosebud3

Meeting neighbors
If you are staying overnight/vacation, it might be the perfect size. Louise has a transport cage (pretty small but not too small) and a visiting cage (a portable cage that works for overnight.) She can perch on it, large enough for toys but in no way a long term cage, and it is sometimes her sleep cage in my room. You may find in the long term you want a smaller cage for vet visits and the larger cage will have other uses. The bird will appreciate space. Congrats on the new bird! Please post pictures when she/he is home.
Thanks so much! An I will post pics! :) <3

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
For my birds travel cage we use one of those little ones that they sell at pet smart . At least they`re good for something. :budgie2:

BirdWorld

That does sound a bit big for a travel cage, but if it works for you, the bird won’t care. @Mizzely made a good point, but the bird can get hurt no matter how big or small the cage is, including if it is so small the bird hurts itself by flapping around, panicked.My budgies have a small carrier
that I got from petsmart, it works for rides to the vet but I don’t think I’d keep them in it for longer trips, due to how small it is. :)
For my birds travel cage we use one of those little ones that they sell at pet smart . At least they`re good for something. :budgie2:
Is the one you got from petsmart meamt to be a travel cage, or a regular cage? It’s best to get cages/carriers meant for travel and not just smaller bird cages. You don’t want to promote buying tiny cages. You may use them as temporary carriers but others might not.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Is the one you got from petsmart meamt to be a travel cage, or a regular cage? It’s best to get cages/carriers meant for travel and not just smaller bird cages. You don’t want to promote buying tiny cages. You may use them as temporary carriers but others might no
Yes, the only time we actually take my birds out of our property is when we go to the vet, which is a two minute drive. I`m considering getting one of those backpacks for if we have to do a drive over 10 mins. :budgie2: