• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traumatized budgie

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
Hey everyone, i got a new budgie. Ever since my coworker gave me her budgie, i have been thinking about getting him a friend. So i went through kijiji and found one that is at the worst shape, i know that nobody is gonna want him, because of his health condition. He looks really shizzty on the picture. So long story short, i picked him up yesterday and took him to the vet today. The vet told me that he is really stress, but his heart and lung are fine. And he might have sinus infection given his nose feather is brown. Any idea how to care for this bird?? The vet gave me some red palm fruit oil and asked me to mix it with his food. But The only food that he eats right now is millet and seed. The previous owner only feed him these. Any tips will be appreciated!!! He is currently in my room, because i am trying to do a 30 day quarantine. Really really want him to get better. And also really disappointed at how people could be so irresponsible for their pet! It made me want to cry given how he was treated. He is currently 6 month But he is extremely skinny. I am so so so sad.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think what you've done is great. It looks like the chance you've taken will likely pay off for both of you.
The brown above his nares is likely just dander from his recent moult - the dust sticks there because of the moisture on his breath. Offer him daily baths. He may not bathe for a while but it'll be there when he wants to. Also give him a Cuttlefish bone to hone his beak on.
Rapid weight gain? Boiled egg or egg food. Everything a neglected parrot needs in one meal. Keep giving him seed as budgies are granivores. You have plenty of time to work on his diet. Have a good read at

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for savings this little budgie. Poor little guy. I know what you mean about crying. How can people get a bird with no expectation to care for them :(

At least this little guy got lucky. Smart that you did quarantine straight away.:) Did you name the birdo yet? He is surely a beautiful guy. I hope he gains weight soon. :hug8: