• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Trauma after night fright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad she is a lot better..have you tried to put a night light in the room?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Our little tiel had a wicked night fright some months ago, she lost quite a few wing feathers and was very bruised up for a few days. She had the metacam treatment too. It seems if you have one that has the fright, they all do. I used to take her out of the cage when she was having one, but that freaked her just as much, now I just talk softly.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
glad she is a lot better..have you tried to put a night light in the room?
I have a night light, I have white noise. I don't know what else I can do.

I used to take her out of the cage when she was having one, but that freaked her just as much, now I just talk softly.
If mine are caged during a fright, they are desperate to be let out. They can't seem to break out of panic mode unless they can come out.

Frights are definitely contagious. Once the budgies get involved, there is no stopping it. The way they were screaming Friday night.. I seriously thought one of them was injured horribly! But they were fine.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Do you think you could have a mouse in the house? I think that could really throw sensitive birds into a panic, & it's pretty common in our part of the country:).

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
it's that time of the year for mice to start coming into the house...I know when my birds see one they are ALL looking down at the floor in one area....as for your birds being loose at night in a room...you need more light for them...I would say at least a light on each wall...also the MINUTE you hear them, go to the room and turn on the lights...that is so important for them to get visual of where they are.....and leave it on until they calm down...there have been times I have left it on for a couple of hours BECAUSE when turned off they would do it again about 30 mins later....also I NEVER covered any of my birds....I found this to be more scarey for them because they could "hear" noises or see shadow BELOW their cages....I had every thing from Buggies to Macaws....and use to raise tiel....and no I wouldn't let Teils/buggies loose at night in the room because they can get hurt a lot worse hitting the walls than in a cage ....proper spacing of the bars can keep them from getting wings caught etc....I am so glad your bird is doing better....just keep an eye on her for the next day or two..:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aw poor sweet baby.. :( That was wonderful that your vet made a special emergency visit to see her.. And I’m soo glad she’s feeling better and that she got some meds.. My Daisy had a really scary night fright once.. I was just waking up to get ready for work and all of a sudden I heard her shrieking.. :( I ran over by her and she was trashing herself around the cage.. :eek: I immediately turned on the light, opened her cage, talked softly to her and got her out of her cage and waited tilll she calmed down.. I think what may have scared her was that we were having a nasty storm and the sleet was blowing against the window.. I always had a night light by her cage but I used to cover her entire cage so now I only cover part of it (so she can see out it partly) and she hasn’t had a night fright since.. :D Maybe try giving little Clementine some nice warm comfort food.. Mine absolutely love oatmeal.. :heart:

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
So good to hear she is better. Poor little thing, those night frights can be quite upsetting to both owner and bird.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
How is little Clementine doing today? :)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
How is little Clementine doing today? :)
She's doing well. :) A little clingy and more interested in quiet shoulder time than in flying around, but the sparkle is back in her eyes.

Flapping after coming out this morning:

And hanging out with me.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Awww! I just love your Clementine, she is so adorable I could bird nap her!:heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.