• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transporting my birb?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Hi guys. I've got a tiel, Riko, that's around 9 months old. I need to bring her to the vet to get her nails clipped soon.

The problem is, I don't have a good way of transporting her on and off the car and to the pet shop. Right now I've been carrying the entire cage, which is tiring for me and scary for Riko. I could get a carrier, but I don't know how to train her to get used to it. Does anyone have any tips, and recommendations for what carriers to get?

Thanks.

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
Hi guys. I've got a tiel, Riko, that's around 9 months old. I need to bring her to the vet to get her nails clipped soon.

The problem is, I don't have a good way of transporting her on and off the car and to the pet shop. Right now I've been carrying the entire cage, which is tiring for me and scary for Riko. I could get a carrier, but I don't know how to train her to get used to it. Does anyone have any tips, and recommendations for what carriers to get?

Thanks.
Hi! A carrier would be a good idea for you and your bids safety. There are lots of different choices for bird carriers they have different styles and what not. You can find some good ones on Amazon and lots of bird stores. For my carrier I actually use a small dog carrier for my gcc. It has handles so I can carry it. This way if it is cold or there are lots of people around you can cover it when transporting your bird. A good way to train your bird to go in the carrier is target training. You can use something as simple as a wood stick that is thin and get your bird to touch the tip of the stick and then reward him with a treat or it optional to use a clicker. Up to you it will take time but consistency is key. Good luck!!:gcc::gcc:

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to use a small cat carrier at first but then once I saved up some money I got a Kings Aluminum travel cage medium and its seriously been one of my best bird related purchases ever. I've had mine at least 10 years now and it's still like new and I've used it a lot for boarding several different Conures over the years and as a sleep cage. I can't recommend them enough the initial cost is large but it will last you forever.
I know a lot of folks have had issues getting their birbs used to carrier cages but I've been very lucky that all 3 of mine excepted it easily. I did always put a favorite perch or toy in it though.

Theobirb

Walking the driveway
I used to use a small cat carrier at first but then once I saved up some money I got a Kings Aluminum travel cage medium and its seriously been one of my best bird related purchases ever. I've had mine at least 10 years now and it's still like new and I've used it a lot for boarding several different Conures over the years and as a sleep cage. I can't recommend them enough the initial cost is large but it will last you forever.
I know a lot of folks have had issues getting their birbs used to carrier cages but I've been very lucky that all 3 of mine excepted it easily. I did always put a favorite perch or toy in it though.
I will look into that I’m sure I won’t be disappointed! Thanks!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will look into that I’m sure I won’t be disappointed! Thanks!
You're welcome! If I could add pics on my phone still I'd show you but alas I can't. But I really do swear by them they don't rust and snap together with ease it's wonderful. Definitely get the stainless steel bowls that have brackets that slide into the door the plastic bowls are not very good quality and tend to break easily which is odd given how high quality everything else about the cage is. And if you order directly from Kings ask them to put a custom dragonwood perch to go from side to side it's a wonderful extra addition to have. Much better then the standard dowel perch it comes with. The perch does cost extra but in my opinion it's well worth it. Tobias loves stripping the bark off of it so it also doubles as a toy,lol.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a cat carrier with a rope perch in it.

I keep the carrier in the main room that Leia hangs out in, and often have a toy on top of it so Leia is encouraged to interact with it and treat it as part of her environment. I often keep the door open so she can wander in and out if she likes.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I have a Kings travel cage and a Prevue travel cage. I like them both but like the Kings better because the handle folds down. The Prevue you have to take the handle off and it is what holds the top of the cage together. So to store it I have to remove the handle so it can sit where I need it to. Here are a few pics so you can get the idea. The kings is the blue one and I have had it for much longer. We got the preview when we adopted Toot.
99CEE7AB-A81D-42C9-BF7E-5850119AB365.jpeg 95B0A06E-F99A-455C-9302-B67F0A71672B.jpeg 2C2FC263-C8E4-49B1-BFC2-56E65BE9751A.jpeg 879AB5A4-8AF8-476A-A781-8D37D1243982.jpeg 0AE2D3C5-0E65-41EE-B6C5-BB2955F434A0.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Kings travel cage and a Prevue travel cage. I like them both but like the Kings better because the handle folds down. The Prevue you have to take the handle off and it is what holds the top of the cage together. So to store it I have to remove the handle so it can sit where I need it to. Here are a few pics so you can get the idea. The kings is the blue one and I have had it for much longer. We got the preview when we adopted Toot.
View attachment 400644 View attachment 400645 View attachment 400646 View attachment 400648 View attachment 400649
Yay! Glad you were able to post pics,for the last month or so my phone won't let me.