• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transporting cockatiel home on a bus and in cold weather

Ageha1304

Sitting on the front steps
So I really want to buy a cockatiel, I've researched a lot about these wonderful little birds and I think I have reached the stage where I'm ready to keep one at home. I have found a pet store where I can buy one, but there are 2 problems:

1. It's in another city (120 km away) and I can't drive a car, meaning that I would have to go by bus. My boyfriend works everyday from 10 to 19, so we can't go while our daughter is in daycare. Going together with our daughter is possible, but we'd like to avoid that since she gets travel-sick really easily and such a long trip is bound to make her vomit at least once.
  2. If I do go by bus, then I need to get the cockatiel from pet store to the bus station safely. Luckily, it's like a 15 min walk BUT it's rather cold outside (approximately 10 °C) and I'm pretty sure I can't just waltz around with a cockatiel in a transporting cage in such cold. I've read that I can cover the cage with fleece towels and put it in a dapple bag, but is it really safe?
Overall, would such a trip be worth it (and wouldn't stress the little bird too much) or should I just wait for some miracle when my husband is free from work (God knows that's not happening anytime soon...)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

@Ripshod Didn´t you take Tau to the vet on the bus/train? Any tips?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes, I think the temperature was quite similar. I just put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in the bottom of his travel cage under the grid and covered the cage with another towel. The train ride was fine because it was warm enough to uncover some of the cage. Longest walk was 20 minutes and the vet had the hot water bottle refilled before the return journey. No ill effects.

Ageha1304

Yes, I think the temperature was quite similar. I just put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in the bottom of his travel cage under the grid and covered the cage with another towel. The train ride was fine because it was warm enough to uncover some of the cage. Longest walk was 20 minutes and the vet had the hot water bottle refilled before the return journey. No ill effects.
Thank you! Then it is a feasible plan. The water bottle will probably be cold by the time I reach the other city, but I could probably use something else, like a thermos.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!!
Do you mean 'cage' or CARRIER? A carrier would be MUCH easier to keep the bird warm, since it's mainly enclosed.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Thank you! Then it is a feasible plan. The water bottle will probably be cold by the time I reach the other city, but I could probably use something else, like a thermos.
No. A thermos is meant to keep it's contents warm, not what it is next to... I include a nice towel inside the CARRIER, then a good covering outside. Maybe even two layers outside.

Ageha1304

WELCOME to the Avenue!!!
Do you mean 'cage' or CARRIER? A carrier would be MUCH easier to keep the bird warm, since it's mainly enclosed.
I meant a carrier, of course. Sorry, English isn't my native language.
No. A thermos is meant to keep it's contents warm, not what it is next to... I include a nice towel inside the CARRIER, then a good covering outside. Maybe even two layers outside.
Would it be alright if I put a towel inside the carrier, cover the carrier with another towel and then put the carrier in a sports bag? It would probably be awkward trying to keep towels on the carrier without any support.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Sure. The only thing I'd worry about carrying it in a sports bag would be if you had it 'over your shoulder' so it would be at an odd angle or have more motion to stress your bird. I understand you are just getting her/him, so hopefully you've had a chance BEFORE YOU TRANSPORT, to allow the bird to get to know you and your voice.

The towel inside on the floor is to give the young one a good grip, so make sure it's not flimsy and doesn't move around alot.
The outer 'towel' is to protect from any breezes, not only the cold. You could 'attach' it to the carrier w/ a bungie cord/ rope to keep it in place. I would add an additional towel OR SHEET either inside the sports bag or on the outside of it to help against the cold... or an extra one of your coats. Shouldn't overheat in just a 15min walk, but once inside the bus, I'd open things up a little more. Protect against ANY breezes.
ENJOY your baby!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps you could bring an empty plastic drinking bottle and towel with you to the pet store and have the people at the store fill the bottle with hot water so that it would be warm for the walk from the store to the bus?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
put the carrier in a sports bag?
What sort of bag? Maybe use something like the shopping bags, that are open at the top. With the towels on the cage, you need to remember that air needs to be able to get in.

Edit, shopping bag example,
IMG_20211015_134246.jpg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
What sort of bag? Maybe use something like the shopping bags, that are open at the top. With the towels on the cage, you need to remember that air needs to be able to get in.

View attachment 394743
Sorry, I didn't think the 15min walk [in the cold and thoroughly covered up] would restrict too much air for them...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t know either Pat. I just worry about it and I know if this were me going to pick up a bird, this is how I would do it. 10C is cold but not freezing. If the temp was zero or below, maybe I would go for a more closed in bag, but for 10C, I think that an open top bag with a towel over the transporter cage/carrier should be ok? I don´t know the answer.
Be sure to leave some of the air holes uncovered by the towel though, no matter what you do.
You can also line the carrier with wood shavings under the towel, they will help keep the carrier warm ,and if you bird snuggles down they will definitely help keep him/her warm.

Ageha1304

Perhaps you could bring an empty plastic drinking bottle and towel with you to the pet store and have the people at the store fill the bottle with hot water so that it would be warm for the walk from the store to the bus?
I could probably just use warm tap water from the bathroom.

View attachment 394743
Thank you! I have plenty of bags like this and they would be even easier to handle than a sports bag!

Thank you everyone! Now I know that I can safely transport the cockatiel! I'll post an update on the situation once I have the little fluffy buddy in my apartment! :)

Ageha1304

Good news everyone! I found a girl in my city who was sellling a 3 month cockatiel boy! We went to pick him up today, meaning that no long bus drives will be necessary! Here's a picture of him. He still feels scared and has just been sitting on the perch for now but I'm sure he'll open up soon. Thinking of naming him Cupcake :D

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and has just been sitting on the perch for now but I'm sure he'll open up soon
Adding more perches, maybe a swing, some other places in the cage to perch will allow him to move around and explore. Limited perches, will mean he is more likely to just sit still.

Congrats! Glad you didn´t have to do the bus journey :)

Ageha1304

Adding more perches, maybe a swing, some other places in the cage to perch will allow him to move around and explore. Limited perches, will mean he is more likely to just sit still.

Congrats! Glad you didn´t have to do the bus journey :)
Yes, I've already added swing and a rope perch alongside a ladder. At one point he was going crazy all over the cage, trying to find a way out I think. His previous owner did say that he likes to fly around a lot, but I don't feel comfortable letting him out until he warms up to me a little bit.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new friend, and I love his name! :heart:

Ageha1304

Congratulations on your new friend, and I love his name! :heart:
Thank you! I'm a bit worried about his health since he had runny poo and bobbed his tail a little, but I guess it could be stress. At some points he was flying all over the cage and screaming "let me out!". Still going to take him to the vet next week for a checkup.