• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transition Weight Loss

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
@Irishj9, Everyone and Caique breeders:

As you all are my resident Caique go to humans, should I be concerned that his transition weight loss has not changed ? He came to me @ 146 grams and hatch date is 7/13 (17weeks).

11/20: 146g Arrival
11/26: 136g Transition loss (approx 7%)
12/5: 136g Same Today

He eats like a champ, droppings are the right color, He is strong, energetic and starting to show Caique behaviors. He is VERY active.
Do I need to be concerned ? He came to me from reputable breeder/friends. Should I try to give him some fatty foods - I dont want seeds and junk to be an expected thing.

Any suggestions or am I being a helicopter mom ? My Avian Vet is an hour and half drive.

I checked some older posts regarding weight and google but as he is not a rescue and my first baby the info cant possibly include those variables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks, Karen

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
If he is very active ( I mean flying) and eating all before him, then I would not obsess about his weight

Just make sure he is actually EATING a wide diet, and not just throwing his diet far and wide

You have the right idea, restrict the fats. Lots of good food. Mine get lots of fruit, mixed veggies available all day. I share my food as I pass by : peanut butter in wholewheat bread, scrambled egg, bran muffins, sugar free breakfast cereals, toasted cheese on wholewheat etc etc

I never bother to weigh them. They chase each other ( flying) round a large avairy, their weight will sort itself out

They will get some seed next week. High quality Loro Parque, and only because its Christmas. They havent seen seed since July

Last edited:

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
If he is very active ( I mean flying) and eating all before him, then I would not obsess about his weight

Just make sure he is actually EATING a wide diet, and not just throwing his diet far and wide

You have the right idea, restrict the fats. Lots of good food. Mine get lots of fruit, mixed veggies available all day. I share my food as I pass by : peanut butter in wholewheat bread, scrambled egg, bran muffins, sugar free breakfast cereals, toasted cheese on wholewheat etc etc

I never bother to weigh them. They chase each other ( flying) round a large avairy, their weight will sort itself out

Phew. Yes, he is puncturing and eating all the fresh foods that land at the bottom and certainly has his favorites, broccoli, snap peas and lima beans to name a few. He is flying more, landing ok and missing his target frequently. Its the navigating he struggles with at this point.

He is more of a savory bird and so far and has not paid much attention to fruit. They get tossed but I keep offering. Yesterday he went for my dinner plate as well as his own so he is certainly food motivated.

I KNEW I was on the right track I just think I needed someone else to tell me. The Avian Vet I worked for passed away so I cant just call him on a whim anymore. I will weigh every 2 weeks as he is young and active. He takes to the scale, nail trims and has now started to practice more somersaults and developing his Caique traits.

Thank you so much !