• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Transition to healthier eating

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I read through this whole thread & got a lot of new ideas.
One being: getting a food processor! :highfive: Also, look into reincarnation as one of Saemma or Saroj's birds.

I'm lucky that I have a lot of time to do some parrot observing, & I realized Kai loves his cage top so much, what if I put a food bowl up there with his cooked foods in it? He does a lot more ignoring it when it's in his cage, but when I offer him something when he's on the top, he goes for it like he's starving. I did it today after reading through this thread, as I was going to remove the cooked food for the day. Now he's been eating & making happy sounds for like 20 minutes now!! :rolleyes: What a brat he can be.

Still no progress on eating any pellets, though. Is he okay on just fruits & veggies until his beak is fixed? I increased the veggie vs. fruit ratio & introduced a cooked mix of beans & grains that's a real hit. He seems content & his stools are normal.

(My Border Collie is currently on a new diet/exercise regime for an extra 10lbs. she managed to pick up, so I'm fretting over everyone's diet lately, even my own!)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha!! Very funny. You wish to be reincarnated so that I continue my days of waiting hand and foot on someone?!!:rofl:
That's wonderful that you have discovered that Kai likes to eat on top of his cage. Poor guy simply wanted a better dining view?:hehe:
Have you tried eating beside him too? Parrots love to eat with their flock. :hug8:

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
Saemma, I would just love to have someone so dedicated to my well-being! :hehe: & I wanna be as cute as Sachi.

I eat in front of Kai once a day, at least. Of course, I'm not eating pellets though! Is he missing on some vital vitamins/other important stuff by not eating them? It's going to be a couple months until I get to his beak, unfortch. He's next on the Big Spending Task list! But the toy poodle's teeth come first. ---> :D

I know he's not starving. If anything, he's gotta be chubby! His vet tech wants him weighed often. (We got the scale, he is just scared of it still.)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma, I would just love to have someone so dedicated to my well-being! :hehe: & I wanna be as cute as Sachi.
I eat in front of Kai once a day, at least. Of course, I'm not eating pellets though! Is he missing on some vital vitamins/other important stuff by not eating them? It's going to be a couple months until I get to his beak, unfortch. He's next on the Big Spending Task list! But the toy poodle's teeth come first. ---> :D

I know he's not starving. If anything, he's gotta be chubby! His vet tech wants him weighed often. (We got the scale, he is just scared of it still.)
I know Dotty feeds her fids Harrisons Mash. If he is a "good eater" and eats most of everything you offer I wouldn't worry so much about it as long as you're feeding a varied diet.:)
If he is finicky and picks and chooses, would you consider trying the Harrisons mash along with the stuff you're already feeding him.?:) I feed Emma and Sachi mash on daily basis but they also consume a bit of pellets too.